Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th May 2012, 03:51 PM
Friend

Default Greetings from Lancaster

Hi all.

I shot 35mm SLR for about 3 or 4 years (having never developed my own film or done my own wet prints) before moving full steam ahead into DSLRs in 2002 about 5 minutes after Nikon unleashed the D100.

During the next almost-ten-years, my Nikon N90s sat in a box, with the intention of one day pulling it back out and continuing the film journey that ceased far too early in '02. A couple of months ago that finally happened (finally got a grip for it last month too).

Fortunately, the N90s (F90x to those outside the USA) works with all my current Nikon glass (although no aperture priority or full manual modes with my G lenses, and no VR - not that I ever have that turned on anyway), and it seems to work with my radio triggers and (low voltage) flashes just fine too.

I also have a 1932 Voigtlander Brilliant TLR that requires some TLC (or a new lens, as the shutter timing is WAY off), an Agfa Isolette I (that I've put a couple rolls through and have a love/hate relationship with), and temporary custody of a Bronica ETRS (with the intention of getting myself either a 645 Super or RB67 at some point).

Since getting back into film, I've only been shooting black & white (a variety including Ilford FP4 (there was about 4 rolls worth left in a bulk loader I recently acquired - so god knows how old it is, at least 22 years according to when they apparently stopped making it), FP4+, HP5+, PANF, Rollei Retro 100 and Kentmere 100, and I finally got all the bits I need to learn to develop my own film (after about 15 or so rolls, I'm starting to see results that I'm rather pleased with). Up until now I've simply been scanning those in with an Epson Perfection V700 then processing in Photoshop & printing digitally.

Last week I acquired a Durst M601 enlarger and Nova quad slot processor. The M601 is setup for 35mm, although it also came with a Gnome Merlin 75mm f/3.5 lens (although no lensboard, and no 645 or 6x6 plates for the negative holder, and no glass either) and have now successfully managed to create my first 10"x8" print.

Very much enjoyed reading some of the articles and posts up here (and planning to turn the shed into a full time darkroom now), and look forward to getting to know you all.

Regards,
John
Old 8th May 2012, 04:07 PM
Friend

Welcome John, pleased that you are enjoying you photography and thanks for a comprehensive introduction.
Old 8th May 2012, 04:18 PM
Friend

Hi John and welcome, looks like you are getting together a very nice set up, and enjoying your journey into the wonderful world of traditional black and white, and I am looking forward to hearing and seeing how you get on,
Richard
Old 8th May 2012, 06:03 PM
Friend

Welcome John. I too have an Agfa Isolettte I. A nice camera but it has its limitations compared to the bells and whistles film cameras of the late 90s. Great pics in the right conditions however.

It wouls seem that you are all set to go with the equipment you now have.

Mike
Old 8th May 2012, 06:16 PM
Friend

Welcome John, I can see from that picture you are not worried by the dark art but maybe it is about you.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 8th May 2012, 06:32 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Welcome to the forum John from the other side of Morecambe Bay.

If you are tempted by an RB67 have a look at this thread, it's a good offer!!

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 8th May 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 8th May 2012, 07:03 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, John!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 8th May 2012, 07:09 PM
Friend

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

Photomi7ch: That was a fun shoot. I'd post the full size version, but it was shot on digital, heh. But pop me a PM if you're interested, and I'll send you a URL to some of my digital work.

Bill: That is an extremely tempting deal, but the wife would kill me if I spent any more on photography gear right now. I was actually offered two more enlargers today. She's only agreeing to even let me go look at them because they're free (as long as I promise to put them to good use). She hasn't said I can actually bring them into the house yet though.

Btw, what are the rules on posting images here? Are we allowed to post scanned & digitally processed negatives? Or straight scans of prints only?
Old 8th May 2012, 07:41 PM
Friend

Hi John, welcome to the forum and good luck with getting to grips with analogue again!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 9th May 2012, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Welcome to fadu John.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies