Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th June 2019, 11:59 AM
Friend

Default Ilford Portfolio RC paper.

I have just bought some of this on special offer from Silverprint (via eBay). It is the 9.5x12” size. I’ve only ever seen, and used it as Postcards. I wondered if anyone else used it, and how it compares to FB papers. It’s on a double-weight base, so must be a bit more substantial than regular RC paper.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11th June 2019, 12:14 PM
Friend

That's quite a saving there at 50 pounds INCLUDING free postage!!!

Just checking on Silverprint's actual website, they sell it full price there at 73.15 pounds, so saving 23.15!

I particularly like that sized paper for some reason, but they are only offering (at the moment any way) the paper in the glossy surface, and it's not a surface I'm over keen on.

Terry S
Old 11th June 2019, 01:18 PM
Friend

Alex, my experience of it has been confined to Postcard size only as well. Even at 6x4 I can feel its extra thickness and rigidity. As a maybe naive non-user of FB it has always struck me that as a RC paper it combines the best of both worlds.

Mike
Old 11th June 2019, 02:14 PM
Friend

Thanks, Terry and Mike. It is a good saving, if you can use the glossy surface. I'm curious to see how it looks as a larger print, mainly because it's a lot easier to wash and dry RC papers. I enjoy the quality of FB paper, and use it when I can, but I find the extra washing, drying and flattening to be a bit of a nuisance. I'm usually working at night, and want to maximise time spent printing, rather than washing, etc.
I will try to use some soon, and report back.
Alex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 9th July 2019, 07:50 PM
Friend

I made a print with this tonight. It has a very nice, quality feel when compared to the standard RC papers.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10th July 2019, 11:59 AM
Friend

Hi Alex, It's my RC paper of choice. I buy it every time I come across a good deal, regular price is above the Classic, but one saves on fixer and time. Much more substantial, doesnt buckle easily. Same boring Multigrade DeLuxe IV emulsion.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies