Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th August 2016, 03:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
has anybody been watching master of photography on sky arts and what do you think of it ,I can sum it up in three words but that's my opinion ,I am not enjoying it very much but just out of curiosity I will watch it to the end ,unless I loose the will to live before the end that is .they all look the part but that is as fare as it goes the final digitally mucked about images are quite boring to say the least .What I cannot understand is there must be some good photographers out there so where did they get this lot from ???. sky arts is one of the better channels on sky and they can have some great programmes on there but this is not one of them ..

www.essexcockney.com
Have to agree totally and like you I will watch it to the end but 'Masters' - I don't think so.
Old 8th August 2016, 04:52 PM
Friend

ive seen better photography from a beginners class
Old 8th August 2016, 07:14 PM
Friend

Digital photography could eventually get a grip on what creative film photography was all about. Today it is all about a world of make believe, camera marketing and loss of integrity. If I take 15000 shots of any event, I should get a keeper, right, but perhaps not. On the other hand, if I move the camera 1mm to the left or 1mm down, I capture an entirely different image. But wait, if I press the shutter now I record a different image that appears 2 seconds later. Oh blast, I pressed the shutter but it whirrs and clicks and takes the picture in a different time frame. OMG the perspective is wrong and those new 15000 shots don’t work.
Old 22nd August 2016, 08:18 PM
Friend

I'm sticking with it, as its not all bad, the problem for me is some of the pretentious and downright rude judges that are totally up themselves and full of b*llsh*t.
Havent got a problem with artistic nudity, its been part of the Art genre since the year dot.
The most boring episode for me was the portrait of the American actor, ( his name escapes me ), hopefully things will improve, as these sort of programs like " Portrait Artist of the Year " etc, can be interesting veiwing.

Tim
Old 23rd August 2016, 11:11 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
I'm sticking with it, as its not all bad, the problem for me is some of the pretentious and downright rude judges that are totally up themselves and full of b*llsh*t.
Havent got a problem with artistic nudity, its been part of the Art genre since the year dot.
The most boring episode for me was the portrait of the American actor, ( his name escapes me ), hopefully things will improve, as these sort of programs like " Portrait Artist of the Year " etc, can be interesting veiwing.

Tim
I have to agree Tim. Another annoying thing is it seems to spend more time with the show cameras coming in from high angles etc and trying to add drama where there is non. I will stick with it though.
Not having done anything digital in a long time but they seem to want to pretend they have been shooting film. The intro shows HP5 film edges and I am sure that there is an enlarger in there somewhere. I would image most of them would struggle in a darkroom.
I can't paint or draw to save my life but programmes like PAOTY I do enjoy watching. The artist is actually creating something rather than the computer.
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:48 PM
Friend

Im still watching it too, i dont do people photography and know id probably struggle with portrait or nude photography.

Note to self, got free use of studio, find a model
Old 25th August 2016, 08:10 PM
Friend

Seriously starting to worry [ may be excessively !] about the total lack of responsibility shown by sky, degrading culture, degrading quality of life, degrading tv.
Old 26th August 2016, 10:32 AM
Friend

its starting to really get my goat .the photo (digital image )that won last night was the best but none of them were any good as far as I could see ,and the judges and the so called experts boy can they talk crap they can definitely talk the talk .I have got this theory that sky put a lot of programmes aimed at women because whenever I say lets get rid of this rubbish ,my wife says that there are loads of programmes on sky that she watches ,so I mustn't upset the wife ,she may start looking at how much I spend on my photography :-)....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 26th August 2016, 05:11 PM
Friend

Agreed. I switched on to the last episode because it was in the south west of Ireland, my Flickr stream below has a whole load of pictures taken in Co Clare in unbelievably a 2 hr period (had velvia in an M7, neopan 400 in an M6), started on the Burren then drove round to Ballyvaughan Bay on our way up north. Its probably one of the most photogenic places in western Europe but instead we got a load of really hackneyed attempts at art school theme stuff that could have been done almost anywhere. Not watching it again.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114162568@N06/
Old 26th August 2016, 11:40 PM
Friend

This series is obviously winding a lot of people up, for me its the pretentious and anal judges,particularly the blokes, along with that female Finnish guest judge who was full of horsesh*t, I believe the contestants are trying to meet the brief in their own style , but the unpredictable expectations of the judges is making things awkward.
I'm enjoying the fact that its a "photographic challenge "and will watch it to the end just to see who actually gets it right in the judges eyes.

Tim
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies