Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd April 2017, 10:00 AM
Friend

Default Pink edged prints

Aha!, you're thinking, He hasn't fixed them properly. Possibly, but let me explain:

In the whole year that I've been making B&W prints I haven't had any problem, I frequently switch the light on half way through fixing without spoiling prints. However, for the past two printing sessions, without putting the lights on, prints have been coming out of the fixer with pink-tinged borders and irridescent smudges where handled. The actual images look entirely normal.

For the record, I am using Ilford MGIV deluxe glossy paper (of unknown age), Ilford PQ developer, Adox Adofix plus fixer. The bottle of fixer is only a few weeks old, diluted 1+9 as recommended.

Last night I tried using a stronger fixer dilution (this stuff is very weak compared to Ilford rapid fixer), with no change. Finally I switched off the safelight and managed to get some decent prints.

Any ideas what's going on here?, it's really frustrating - could the safelight have suddenly become unsafe? - there's no trace of fogging on images, highlights are brilliant white.
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:21 AM
Friend

Sound like contamination from your fingers where you have handled it. Do you remember what you handled before you put the paper in the easel. Why have you assumed it is a fix problem? The safe light would not show pink on the paper. Have you checked the stop?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:07 PM
Friend

It's not fingerprints, the discolouration is generally round the edges of the print. The only other time I had prints go pink was with exhausted fixer, but it didn't show up until later.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:20 PM
Friend

If it is at the edges only and you say that the paper is of an unknown age then it may have been stored in less than ideal conditions, say where it is too warm or somehow damp has got to it.

I think that the safelight can be entirely discounted because you are using B&W paper and that would not discolour, only give a grey 'mask' over the whole image.

Have you tried another batch/packet of paper, possibly a different make to see if the same thing happens?
Old 22nd April 2017, 03:25 PM
Friend

I got a discoloured edge at the end corresponding to the open black bag - in other words, the contamination was coming in during sloppy storage. A quick call to Ilford with the manufacturing code indicated very old stock, which the retailer exchanged without hesitation.
I was intrigued to know other symptoms of ageing. The speed was low, the fog was high and I couldn't get a decent black - all as reported before in this forum.
Old 24th April 2017, 01:20 PM
Friend

A partial update, whilst cleaning the processing trays at the weekend I found the source of smudge marks - the developer tray and tongs had become 'silver plated', which was transferring to the prints.

Now I come to think of it, the pink tinged paper is from a newly opened box (old stock), so as suggested, it's a fair guess that it's deteriorated in some way. A right nuisance, as it's an 8x10 pack of 100 sheets, and the only RC paper I have left at the moment!
Old 25th April 2017, 11:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
A quick call to Ilford with the manufacturing code indicated very old stock, which the retailer exchanged without hesitation.
I'm presuming you are talking about a box of paper that you have recently bought, which was then exchanged and not an old box that you bought years ago and am only just opening?

Terry S
Old 25th April 2017, 01:53 PM
Friend

OK I was nearly right tongs not fingers.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 25th April 2017, 08:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I'm presuming you are talking about a box of paper that you have recently bought, which was then exchanged and not an old box that you bought years ago and am only just opening?

Terry S
No, in fact I bought several boxes of Ilford paper at a good price from another forum member last year, on the basis that it had been around too long and needed using up quicker than he was likely to do. All the other paper has been fine, I left this box 'til last as it had a higher serial number and so theoretically newer.
Old 26th April 2017, 02:35 PM
Friend

EdmundH I hope you have patented the pink edge affect you could be on to a good thing here :-)

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies