Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th June 2017, 06:05 AM
Friend

Me too, had mine for a couple of years now.
Old 29th June 2017, 10:00 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverphoton View Post
You say that now as many of us have, only to think what would it have looked like on 7x5 or maybe 8x10.�� Been there, done that, bought more cameras. I too am a MK Vlll user.
5x4 is the largest that's really practical in terms of portability, I have carried a 10x8 camera for miles over the North York Moors so it can be done but it's hard work.

I gave up 35mm almost completely quite a few years ago mid 1990's, I used to carry a Leica alongside my Wista more as a diary camera as I rarely used the images. These days I carry a TLR either a Yashicamat 124 or a Rolleiflex along with one of my 5x4 cameras - the TLRs are almost always used hand held.

It's quite easy to shoot 5x4 hand held, it's not difficult once you get the hang of it. I compose/focus on the GG screen then use the wire sports finder for final framing. It's possible to work quite quickly which seems to go against the grain of shooting LF, but in my case it's often necessity.

Paul, you'll find shooting 5x4 is fun, the quality is outstanding, it will affect the way you work with other formats as well, you learn to be more discerning of what you shoot.

Ian
Old 29th June 2017, 10:52 AM
Friend

now for the next question, what method do you use to develop film tray or tank or other.. I have seen on you tube where you can develop 3 5X4 sheets in one go just using a Paterson dev tank ,its called the taco method has anybody tried it and if so what where the results ..
another problem I have is the biggest enlarger lens I have is a 41/2 inch supar f4.5 wray ,I think that its over 100mm no dought some one will put me right if not what lens will I need ,otherwise could I manage with this for the time being ..any ideas welcome .thanks

www.essexcockney.com
Old 29th June 2017, 11:58 AM
Friend

Paul, I have a couple of Jobo 2000 tanks they both take two reels which hold 6 sheets of 5x4 film so 12 sheets per tank. These are inversion tanks and were replaced by the later Jobo rotary tanks.

I also have a Yankee tank, bought as I also shoot 9x12 and it's adjustable for 5x4. 9x12, Quarter plate and 6.5x9.

If you can find a Paterson Orbital at a good price they are good for up to 4 sheets of 5x4, I've used one while staying with a friend.

Ian
Old 29th June 2017, 12:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
now for the next question, what method do you use to develop film tray or tank or other.. I have seen on you tube where you can develop 3 5X4 sheets in one go just using a Paterson dev tank ,its called the taco method has anybody tried it and if so what where the results ..
Paul, is this what you were thinking of?
https://www.mod54.com
Fits in a Patterson 3-reeler. UK product too.
Old 29th June 2017, 12:48 PM
Friend

There is a method where two 4x5 sheets can be done in a Paterson Universal tank. Another member here demonstrated it some time ago. It's not the Taco method. You take the reels out and place the sheets, gently curved against the inside wall of the tank. They don't touch the walls, other than at the edges. The two sheets touch each other at their edges. Some people have glued two vertical strips of thin plastic onto the inner tank wall to hold the sheets in place. This method works, but gentle inversions are required to avoid movement. A proper device for sheets is a better bet, but this could get you started. It's easier than trays where you work in the dark.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29th June 2017, 01:52 PM
Friend

I've looked for the thread which gave pictures of how to do two sheets as above. I can't find it here, so it must be on another forum. The sheets sit in the tank in the 'landscape' orientation. I meant to say that the central tube must be in the tank, and the top on, to keep it light tight. I'll try to find the pictures.
Alex

Old 29th June 2017, 02:17 PM
Friend

the one on you tube used hair bands one around each film quite a good idea he says it works I will have to try it
Old 29th June 2017, 02:46 PM
Friend

The thread I referred to was called 'Development methods for 4x5' and it started on 29/8/2015 on the Large Format Photography Forum. I don't know how to make a link to it, but a forum search for that title will likely bring it up.
Alex

Old 29th June 2017, 03:29 PM
Friend

Hi Paul,
Take a look at my article "An easy way to develop sheet film" in the Articles section. It's the ninth one down.

Alan
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies