Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th January 2019, 07:17 PM
Friend

Default Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganca View Post
Yes. I emailed the lab (with the scanned image attached) and the owner replied and asked me to call him tomorrow so that we can view the image together and discuss it. I'm curious to get his take on this.
At least they are taking notice which is a start.
Old 19th January 2019, 02:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
At least they are taking notice which is a start.
They are, really good people.

I spoke to the owner today and he said that he can't be sure, but he believes that this probably was caused during development - refreshingly honest. He asked me to bring in the negatives so he could take a closer look, which I will do. He also asked me to send him a few scans from the same roll in the meantime so he can check them out and look for any patterns that might clue him in as to what might have happened.

So, nothing definitive yet but both the lab owner and Leica technical support here in the US felt it was not a camera fault, but likely a development issue. The sad part is that I had plans to print some of these negatives for an upcoming critique session - I guess I'll have to print some others instead.
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:03 AM
Friend

If the lab owner suspects processing, best take his advice seriously. What type of processor? Leader-belt, roller-transport (minilab), dip & dunk, 3-gallon tank with a cage of stainless reels? None of these is particularly prone to banding, but knowing which might help.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
If the lab owner suspects processing, best take his advice seriously. What type of processor? Leader-belt, roller-transport (minilab), dip & dunk, 3-gallon tank with a cage of stainless reels? None of these is particularly prone to banding, but knowing which might help.
They use dip and dunk processors.
Old 14th February 2019, 08:01 AM
Friend

Then it probably isn't the processing.
Weighted rolls are hung from a rail and (literally) dipped and dunked. The film isn't passing over a roller system which would mark them.
Agitation is by bubbling inert nitrogen through the chemistry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ooD7EJx02w

Your banding is so sharp and so straight I hate to say it still looks like a pressure artefact. Just maybe a faulty cassette, rather than a camera fault if luck is on your side.
Old 14th February 2019, 11:35 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Then it probably isn't the processing.
Weighted rolls are hung from a rail and (literally) dipped and dunked. The film isn't passing over a roller system which would mark them.
Agitation is by bubbling inert nitrogen through the chemistry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ooD7EJx02w

Your banding is so sharp and so straight I hate to say it still looks like a pressure artefact. Just maybe a faulty cassette, rather than a camera fault if luck is on your side.
You may be right. I'm running another roll through the camera now so I guess I'll find out soon.
Old 23rd February 2019, 09:52 PM
Friend

Quick follow-up on this...

I just got my negatives back from the lab and see no sign of that band on any of the frames. I shot the roll with the same camera body as before. So, no clue what caused it on the last roll but the camera seems to be fine. As others suggested, maybe an issue with the previous film cassette.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:52 PM
Friend

Thanks for the update. I would have been surprised if the camera was at fault. I hope you don’t have any recurrence. It can be very frustrating when something like this ruins your negatives.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 24th February 2019, 02:12 PM
Friend

Not sure how relevant this is but I seem to remember reading about a film transport issue with some M-As. I think there are a couple of YouTube videos about it.
Michael
Old 24th February 2019, 02:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Not sure how relevant this is but I seem to remember reading about a film transport issue with some M-As. I think there are a couple of YouTube videos about it.
Michael
Hi Michael,

The only issue I've seen reported with the M-A is that sometimes the film advance fails to advance the film. I've never had that issue and I don't think it's related to what I observed.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies