Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th November 2019, 01:55 PM
Friend

Hi Mitch.
I have used the IR 400 with the Hoya R72 filter. It gives quite strong IR effects. I’ve also used it with one which I think is 695um, (I don’t think that’s the correct unit, but the number is right), and again I found good IR effect. My only issue with it is the extreme contrast, which can be difficult to control in printing. I reduced development time at one point to try to achieve better negatives, but my results were a bit grey for my liking. I think that in situations where IR radiation is strong, high contrast is inevitable. The red filter may produce a more manageable negative.
Interestingly, I think the RPX400 may also show IR effects if exposed through an IR filter. There was a film called Rollei 400S, or something similar, which definitely did. Effects were similar to IR400, but the film was less expensive. You could try a couple of frames on a roll, otherwise exposed normally, to see what happens.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 26th November 2019, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
That's is a great photo, you have also answered a question I had about using a filter and whether or not it needs to be IR.
Thanks Mitch. I hope you enjoy the film, let us know how you get on.
Old 26th November 2019, 06:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Hi Mitch.
... There was a film called Rollei 400S, or something similar, which definitely did. Effects were similar to IR400, but the film was less expensive. You could try a couple of frames on a roll, otherwise exposed normally, to see what happens.
Alex

Yes, indeed (and still is). Rollei Retro 80S and Rollei Retro 400S are both still on the market.
Old 26th November 2019, 06:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Neil, looking at my emails for orders made on such days, leads me tho believe that they happen about every three months. Can you hold out that length of time?

Terry s

Terry,

I shall have to hang on - It'll take a while to recover from the last wallet attack !

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 27th November 2019, 09:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Hi Mitch.
I have used the IR 400 with the Hoya R72 filter. It gives quite strong IR effects. I’ve also used it with one which I think is 695um, (I don’t think that’s the correct unit, but the number is right), and again I found good IR effect. My only issue with it is the extreme contrast, which can be difficult to control in printing. I reduced development time at one point to try to achieve better negatives, but my results were a bit grey for my liking. I think that in situations where IR radiation is strong, high contrast is inevitable. The red filter may produce a more manageable negative.
Interestingly, I think the RPX400 may also show IR effects if exposed through an IR filter. There was a film called Rollei 400S, or something similar, which definitely did. Effects were similar to IR400, but the film was less expensive. You could try a couple of frames on a roll, otherwise exposed normally, to see what happens.
Alex

Thanks Alex, are you suggesting that on very bright days you may not need the filter and possible be a way of controlling contrast?

You are right having not used ether film before the results are going to be interesting.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 27th November 2019, 09:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Thanks Mitch. I hope you enjoy the film, let us know how you get on.
I will Barry, but I think it is going to be a slow going unless there is a break in the weather I am hoping the festive season will produce some bright days so I can enjoy the peace and quite and make some images

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 27th November 2019, 10:11 AM
Friend

Hi Mitch. I think a normal red filter might be better if it’s very bright. With no filter it will look like ordinary film.
Alex

Old 29th November 2019, 02:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Hi Mitch. I think a normal red filter might be better if it’s very bright. With no filter it will look like ordinary film.
Alex

Thanks Alex, I have a red filter.

Old 29th November 2019, 03:15 PM
Friend

Barry’s picture above from Hartland is a great example of the effect with a standard red filter, rather than the full power IR types. There is certainly better shadow detail in that compared to some I’ve made using the R72.
Alex.

Old 1st December 2019, 04:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I really like Rollei IR400, the attached image was taken with just a red (25) filter. Unfortunately it is a dusty neg, not had that happen for years?

I should add that this is a scan of a 10x8 print taken on 120 film.
Nice one Barry

I wonder where the shot was taken ?

Martin

Tags
black and white film, rollei 400 rpx
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies