Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th December 2019, 10:44 PM
Friend

Barry and vanannan. I'd never have the guts or the toughness to use either way you mention unless I have just watched one of "The Duke's" old cavalry films.

Either method could be expensive for me as it would involve a bottle of whisky. Half of which I'd have to drink after the injury and then use the other half as anti-septic on the wound

Mike
Old 20th December 2019, 10:44 PM
Friend

Bottle cap remover is what I use as well.

I have an Ilford film retriever too, but that's not used much, after an incident years ago with a bit of grit in the felt, which scratched the back of the film. It was probably a one off, but it's now used in emergencies only.

Terry S
Old 21st December 2019, 09:14 AM
Friend

I use my fingers and just pull the light trap open.
Old 21st December 2019, 09:56 AM
Friend

A bit more brutal. I use a small pair of pliers gripped over the lip and then just pull.
Old 21st December 2019, 10:55 AM
Friend

I use a film retriever, I cut the end of the film off between the sprocket holes, round off the corners and then start the film into the reel. I put the film and reel into my dark bag and load the film onto the reel, I then snip off the cassette leaving 12-15mm of film sticking out. I then bulk load film into the cassette as and when required.
Old 21st December 2019, 08:53 PM
Friend

Brute force and ignorance - but then I'm loaded with both...... And a screwdriver that I use to take the top off. Squeeze the cassette, lever the top, remove the whole roll, and start. 2 seconds?
YMMV.
Old 22nd December 2019, 01:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I was going to say that I never bother opening cassettes as I have never had any need to do it but I need to qualify this by saying that I use a film leader retriever instead. I find this more versatile in that I can use it to retrieve a leader from a mid-roll rewound cassette on those occasions I have changed films and then changed back.

Mike
That's a really good idea Mike! Never thought of doing that - winding a half-finished roll back in, popping it out of the camera and then starting it later where it left off. That will be useful when I know it will be a while (say, a few months) before I shoot 35mm again...I can put that roll in the freezer until ready to finish it. I have a roll of FP4 in my Pentax right now that's only had 12 exposures shot. Off to the camera store.... Thanks!
Old 22nd December 2019, 08:43 PM
Friend

Svend, I realise that I should have changed my grammar slightly. It sounds as if I think I could do this if I wanted but haven't yet whereas I can attest to the fact that I have in fact done just this successfully with my 35mm Pentax

I suspect that I might even have managed to do it without even wasting a blank frame but I choose to be safe and wound the original film on to one frame beyond the one on which I rewound

Mike
Old 22nd December 2019, 09:13 PM
Friend

now I have in my mind Barry , biting the top of the film cassette and spitting it into a bin ,like a cowboy in a bar spitting chewing tobacco into a spittoon :
Old 22nd December 2019, 10:37 PM
Friend

I've not a big believer in pulling the film back out through the light trap.

The fewer journeys the film makes through the felt traps, the fewer opportunities for film damage.

I remember when I started out a hard tap on a desk would pop open a Ilford film cassette - you could then retrieve the film and if you were then lucky you could load another film onto the spool using a bulk loader.

That's when I ended up scratching a lot of films - so I decided it just was not worth it and only pop open the cassette to get the films out.

Incidentally, the old Ilford film cassettes might also pop open if you dropped them on the floor and they landed on the protruding spool end.

Unsurprisingly, Ilford changed their cassette design to the near impregnable design they now use - circa 1980

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies