Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th February 2020, 08:13 PM
Friend

Good suggestion Richard. A flashlight and my eyeglasses
Old 28th February 2020, 01:07 PM
Friend

if you breath on to the lens the moisture in your breath will show up any scratches on the lens ..should we really expect mint condition on quite old lenses ,most will have some marks on the glass and dust inside ,I know we all want the best ,but sometimes we have to have what's available or not bother .
Old 28th February 2020, 01:19 PM
Friend

Well I've not heard of doing the breath test Paul. Good idea. I will give it a try tomorrow.

And yes, point taken re. making do with what's available. As mentioned, there is a dearth of quality 24mm lenses for PK mount in these parts, and what is being offered online is grossly overpriced. Hoping the little Tokina will be a winner. Reviews and example images online look promising.
Old 28th February 2020, 02:07 PM
Friend

Svend and everybody really. I had a chance to look at Mifsud's and Ffordes last night and then a large camera and lens seller that I have used in the past and while neither of the first 2 suppliers seemed to have any 24mm Pentax lenses my e-bay seller had a couple but both were close to nearly £200.

There does seem to be more Nikon lenses in this focal length than there are Pentax

At nearly £200 for a 24mm I think I can manage with my 28mm

Mike
Old 28th February 2020, 02:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Svend and everybody really. I had a chance to look at Mifsud's and Ffordes last night and then a large camera and lens seller that I have used in the past and while neither of the first 2 suppliers seemed to have any 24mm Pentax lenses my e-bay seller had a couple but both were close to nearly £200.

There does seem to be more Nikon lenses in this focal length than there are Pentax

At nearly £200 for a 24mm I think I can manage with my 28mm

Mike
Yes, that's exactly what I found Mike. In my searches locally and across N. America there are lots of 28mm around, for very reasonable prices; but only very few 24's. And of those, many were older Takumars going for crazy money. Almost no PK mount 24's. I wonder if that is because so few were made back in the day, or whether demand now is higher, or both. After all, this is a versatile focal length for film and APSC cameras.

Crossing fingers that the Tokina is a good one. I am optimistic, as my old Vivitar M42 35mm was also made by Tokina, and it is amazingly good. I had always poo-pooed third party lenses as being sub-par cheapo stuff, and only looked at original Pentax glass. Needless to say I was quite wrong on that, much to my delight. It seems my wife's old Granny had good taste in lenses
Old 28th February 2020, 02:29 PM
Friend

Svend, yes all things considered and with the benefit of hindsight if I were approached by someone wanting to embark on 35mm film photography now, I don't think I'd advise that person to go for Pentax It appears that Nikon may be the way to go with the rider that the way things are going with what appears to be a wave of newcomers to film, all cameras and lenses, irrespective of make, are going to go into shortage mode

Mike
Old 28th February 2020, 03:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Svend, yes all things considered and with the benefit of hindsight if I were approached by someone wanting to embark on 35mm film photography now, I don't think I'd advise that person to go for Pentax It appears that Nikon may be the way to go with the rider that the way things are going with what appears to be a wave of newcomers to film, all cameras and lenses, irrespective of make, are going to go into shortage mode

Mike
Its not just Pentax that you can't find 24mm prime lenses for, I have Canon and Minolta systems as well as Pentax and the only 24mm's I have are a 24 to 85 Minolta AF zoom and a 24 to 105 zoom again Minolta AF, I have looked on a few sites, I have seen 1 24mm prime again for Minolta AF, lots of 28's, but back in the day of manual cameras the 28 was seen as an extra wide lens, with 35 seen as normal, so I would guess that most makers did not make many 24mm primes, and those that are out there are going to be expensive, especialy as most for the last few years wouldhave used zooms, plenty of standard zooms in the 35 to 75 range, and quite a few in the 28 to 85, a good few 35 mm primes and some 28 mm, mostly what is around are zooms, mostly 35 to 70 or 28 to 80, even among the Sigma/tamrom/Tokina's Ect, which are all extremly good lenses, indeed some of the independent's are as good or better than the originals, Mike I would disagree with you about Pentax, their cameras were great,very inovative, and as far as lenses go there are simply masses around, Their K mount was used not only by Pentax but by many camera makers, there are. I would say, more of the PK mount lenses than any other, and many are fairly cheap due to the many made by every lens maker, so Svend, if you really want a 24 mm lens, if the Tokina is in any way usable then get it, the 24 in general seems to be a rare beast for every maker, I agree that the 24 is great for some application, I have 2 the above mentioned zooms, but to give just one example, for the Minolta AF the lenses, even the 24 to something zooms, and the 28 primes are around the £50 to £100 mark, the only prime 24mm I have ever seen, and that was on Ffordes, was £250
Richard
Old 28th February 2020, 03:41 PM
Friend

I hae just had a very qick look at Ffordes, for Canon/pentax and Nikon, and 24mm lens in general are in wide angle terms are by far the most expensive primes, and there is a couple of 24 to 85/105 lenses for Pentax, Svend, you might do better looking for a short zoom from 24 to 85,they seem fo be a better price, and in my experiance the short zooms are very good indeed, I have 2 for mi Minolta AF, and am very pleased indeed, but these are mostly metel compared to plastic for other lenses in the AF range,
Richard
Old 28th February 2020, 07:45 PM
Friend

Richard, thanks for checking into that, and for your insight into 24's etc. As you say, 24's seem to be expensive little buggers for some reason. I have looked at short zooms but haven't really been wowed by any reviews I've read...however that was really only the Pentax OE models, I haven't checked out 3rd party zooms at all -- only primes.

TBH, at this point if I can get a nice 24mm prime that would be my preference. For my MX and K5 I have all other focal lengths covered with some very nice primes -- SMC-M 50/1.7, 120/2.8, and 200/4; as well in M42 I have 35/2.8, 55/1.8, and 150/4 (Vivitar, and two Takumars, respectively). So a zoom for the MX would be overlap. I also have an AF kit zoom for the K5 (18-55 weather sealed), but I can't say I'm terribly impressed by it's IQ so far....I will save it for rainy/snowy days.

I will post back once I have a look at the Tokina tomorrow.
Old 28th February 2020, 10:30 PM
Friend

Hi Svend. I don’t know if you can access eBay UK, but a search there for ‘Pentax 24mm lens’ produced quite a number of offers, both Pentax and independent. They range from around £50-70 for Sigma, Tokina, Vivitar etc, but the Pentax versions average around £150. There are quite a few of them available. Some are offered by private sellers, and others from shops. I don’t know how economical it would be to have one shipped to Canada.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies