Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th April 2011, 11:44 AM
Friend

Question Print presentation of contact prints.

For those of you who use an 8x10 large-format Camera, how do you like to mount and mat your contact prints?
Old 25th April 2011, 11:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
For those of you who use an 8x10 large-format Camera, how do you like to mount and mat your contact prints?
Keith, I mostly trim off the black rebate and mount the contact print onto Fabriano 5 (with about a 1 3/4" border all round) I then window matt, cut so it shows about 1/2" of the white Fabriano paper left and right, slightly wider top and bottom. This is attached to the backing sheet of the mount board with self-adhesive photo-corners or acid free adhesive tape. The finished mounts are 40cm x 50cm ready to go into black metal Nielson frames.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 25th April 2011, 01:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Keith, I mostly trim off the black rebate and mount the contact print onto Fabriano 5 (with about a 1 3/4" border all round) I then window matt, cut so it shows about 1/2" of the white Fabriano paper left and right, slightly wider top and bottom. This is attached to the backing sheet of the mount board with self-adhesive photo-corners or acid free adhesive tape. The finished mounts are 40cm x 50cm ready to go into black metal Nielson frames.
Thanks Trevor. This is a very specific question as I usually mount my regular enlargements with a window mat which shows around half an inch or so of the white border.
I think I will also trim away the black rebate and I like your method of mounting it onto white Fabriano paper. I have never been keen on black key-lines for prints except for pale, high-key subjects.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:43 AM
Friend

Depends. For silver gelatin prints I dry mount a trimmed print on mat board (usually white but have used black for high-key images). Then float mount with mat opening 1/4 to 3/8" wider on each side.

For pt/pd prints on watercolor paper, hinge mount; then overmat (window mat) usually with a creamy white mat that doesn't detract from the warmer tones of Palladium.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies