Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th November 2012, 10:36 PM
Friend

Default Storing Durst enlargers

I've got a number of dursts stored in the loft, and am wondering how far to dismantle them. The heads/carriers/mixing boxes/timers etc have been removed and stored, as have the bases, but i'm left with the columns with the winding mechanism with the counterbalancing springs as a large 'L shaped' unit. Is it easy to release the spring and hence dismantle the columns further, or is that generating a world of pain when trying to reassemble them?

My loft isn't that dry, and the more I can dismantle, the more bits can be boxed sensibly into airtight containers with gels to avoid any problems.

I've got two L1200s and a M670 stored, and they take up quite a bit of room as is.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:03 PM
Friend

I would wipe the whole of the counter balance springs with some vaseline to coat them. That will be easier said than done if you don't have the head mounted to unwind them.

If your loft is sealed so it doesn't get a draft through it, then put one or two 120W single bar heaters up there to keep the chill/damp off. Thats only 4 60w bulb equiavalents. Will also keep the house warmer as temp differential will be less between loft and upstairs rooms.
If it gets a draft through it then not much point putting low power heaters in there.
Old 28th November 2012, 08:39 AM
Friend

Default Durst

I would seal the enlarger head/transformer in a plastic bag with plenty of silica gel bags inside. The chassis spring can be sprayed with a rust proofer available from the auto trade.
Old 28th November 2012, 01:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
I would seal the enlarger head/transformer in a plastic bag with plenty of silica gel bags inside. The chassis spring can be sprayed with a rust proofer available from the auto trade.
I'm with you Norm.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 28th November 2012, 04:38 PM
Friend

Having picked up one L1200 that had been abused & poorly stored, keeping dust out is a number one priority. Bagging and storing the head in a drafty loft may not be the best solution unless you are prepared to strip and clean the mechanical linkages inside (for the Dichro heads).
Old 28th November 2012, 10:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
Having picked up one L1200 that had been abused & poorly stored, keeping dust out is a number one priority. Bagging and storing the head in a drafty loft may not be the best solution unless you are prepared to strip and clean the mechanical linkages inside (for the Dichro heads).
I've got the heads, mixing boxes, neg holders, timers, and the blocks that hold the column to the base board removed and stored in large plastic boxes with sealing lids, and moisture absorbing chemical with them - these bits aren't going to rust. I actually spent quite some time dismantling and removing rust from these parts when I got hold of the enlargers, so i'm not going to let this happen again!

I'm left with the baseboard (wood), the column, and the transport/spring mechanism on the column. The column itself looks unlikely to rust as it's painted, but I can't store the transport/sprint and column in something, but if I dismantle further, I would be able to.

So, do these come apart? What happens if I undue the retaining bolts holding the sprint under tension? Does it politely wind up and is it obvious how to re-attach, or does it attempt to maim me/remove an eye and best left alone? ;-)
Old 29th November 2012, 07:12 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare View Post
What happens if I undue the retaining bolts holding the sprint under tension? Does it politely wind up and is it obvious how to re-attach, or does it attempt to maim me/remove an eye and best left alone? ;-)
Probably best left as a single assembly - The spring has a fair bit of energy stored in it even when at the top of the column, and it may well try to take a finger off if you unbolt it. Give it a squirt of WD40 and wrap in a few layers of plastic and it should be fine.
Old 29th November 2012, 07:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare View Post
So, do these come apart? What happens if I undue the retaining bolts holding the sprint under tension? Does it politely wind up and is it obvious how to re-attach, or does it attempt to maim me/remove an eye and best left alone? ;-)
I once undid the coil on an A600 but never again. Dangerous yes, could you ever get the same degree of tension most probably not.

It's just not worth it in my opinion, so indeed best left alone.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 30th November 2012, 05:03 PM
Friend

with the L1200 the focussing unit will come off if you undo the 4 lock nuts with an alun key. That just leaves the spring unit on the column but should make it much easier to handle.
Old 30th November 2012, 07:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
with the L1200 the focussing unit will come off if you undo the 4 lock nuts with an alun key. That just leaves the spring unit on the column but should make it much easier to handle.
Now that's worth knowing - I hadn't thought of that. I guess since it is designed to rotate then it'll just be on a single erm, whatever.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies