Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th July 2013, 10:26 AM
Friend

Default Mamiya 645 1000s, Sekor C lenses & focusing screens:

I have a Mamiya 645 1000s (two of them), both waist level and prism viewfinders and use the Sekor C standard 80mm and 45mm wide angle lenses. It is my preference to use the 45mm wide angle lens as it is more useful to me and the prism finder. I don't really like the standard 80mm lens.

I am still a novice with medium format and these cameras and had a film back this week, I seem to think that I am seeing a bit more in my viewfinder than that I am getting back in the photos which was a negative scan. I am wondering if I need to buy another focusing screen for use with the 45mm lens? Some details have been chopped off and don't appear. I can't see that much from the colour neg.

I have not experienced this problem before. Printing up from B&W negs I have not noticed any problems, quite the reverse being true as on these films, I have gone further up the column or used a paper size to loose bits not wanted. So hopefully, there is an old style 645 expert out there who can put me right. Otherwise, I am going to have to wait until I can use up the XP2 film, send it away for a scan and later print up the film for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pbo 12 Col Pol.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	1811  
Old 28th July 2013, 11:41 AM
Friend

Most older SLR cameras show a small percentage less image in the finder than on film the reason being an allowance was made for masking (ie neg carriers or slide mounts), many more modern slr's both film and digital are rather more accurate some claiming 100% finder image, my suspicion is that that there is cut off on your scans, could it be that the negative carrier on the scanner cuts off a small amount?
Old 28th July 2013, 03:50 PM
Friend

Alan,

The focus screen will show you typically 90-95% of the image area that reaches the film.

http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/assets/fil...5_1000S_v4.pdf

suggests that it is 94% on the mamiya 1000s - this is a property of the focus screen and where it is positioned in the camera. With the waist level hood you'll see all of this area, but with the maginifier probably only part of the screen. The prism will show you all of the screen.

So, if you are seeing cropping problems from what you remember through the viewfinder, it suggests this is a problem with the scan - stick the negative on a lightbox and check against what you get in the scan?
Old 9th August 2013, 10:28 PM
Friend

A 95% coverage means you'd lose just a fraction more than 1mm off both sides. That shouldn't make much difference practically speaking.

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies