Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd February 2021, 03:58 PM
Friend

Default Consistency with Sepia toner

I've been using Fotospeed ST20 for a while now. Whilst I can generally get the results I want from it, I'd say I only get 1 out of 3 prints toned to satisfaction.

The trouble with it is in an open tray the toner seems to expire very quickly, so I have to top it up with the additive and toner concentrate. There is always a significant difference between the first and last prints both in hue and amount of tone.

To help matters I bleach and wash all prints first. Then prep the toner and use it immediately print by print.

I'm toning FB papers, usually Ilford Classic FB or Warmtone. Almost always a split tone, 1 min in Selenium followed by a partial bleach and then full sepia. Usually I just want the highlights in sepia, as such there isn't much room for error.

Any suggestions on alternative sepia toners that might have longer life in the tray?
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:03 PM
Friend

Can I ask, Faraz, how many prints and over what period do you use the toner? What does Fotospeed say about how many prints and over how long its toner remains consistent?

Are the differences large and is it impossible to extend the toning time to compensate?

Thanks

Mike
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:03 PM
Friend

I have kept Fotospeed sepia toner and bleach for a couple of monyhs without problems, in the trays for toning 5 or 6 prints, both FB and RC paper, poured it back into bottles and then used for another session, so it should keep for a month or so, I always mix up 1 liter at a time, Bleach at 1/2 strength,and toner also at 1/2 strength, for both Kentmere RC paper, and Classic, Art 300 and A dox fb paper, but for the Ilford MG5 it needs toner at full strength, I don't know whgsy your toner is going off very quickly, but as it uses it can take longer to tone, I always tone by eye, but for me it keeps well, The toner I prefered to use was the Fomatoner sepia, just 2 toners bleach then the toner, but I can't find it in the UK any more . You could also try Tetenal sulphide toner, it is the old fashioned sulpher toner, stinks ot rotton eggs, it is a sulphur toner but works well and keeps well I don't use it any more due to pressure from my better half, it does stink the house out
Richard
Rich
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:53 PM
Friend

I am typically toning 3 or 4 prints at a time. Each gets between 2-4 min in the toner, but its done by eye so I'll keep it in the bath as long as needed.

Perhaps the issue is the quantity I am mixing. I usually mix up around 200ml of toner, at this amount I suppose there is higher percentage of surface area, the toner may expire quickly?
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:16 PM
Friend

Hi8 Faraz, at that diliution you won't have much of the chemical so it won't last so long, it is much better to mix 500ml or 1 liter of both solutions and store it in bottles, if you are using plastic then squeeze the bottle to exclude air, better to use glass and something like protectan on top to exclude air, but certainly in larger quantiles it keeps very well,
Richard
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:00 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Hi8 Faraz, at that diliution you won't have much of the chemical so it won't last so long, it is much better to mix 500ml or 1 liter of both solutions and store it in bottles, if you are using plastic then squeeze the bottle to exclude air, better to use glass and something like protectan on top to exclude air, but certainly in larger quantiles it keeps very well,
Richard
Thanks Richard, I have some glass bottles so I'll mix up a 1L next time and store and see how that goes.
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:58 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraz View Post
Thanks Richard, I have some glass bottles so I'll mix up a 1L next time and store and see how that goes.
Just pour the 1 liter out every time, tone the prints then pour it back into the bottles, that should tone many more sheets of MG classic,
Richard
Old 23rd February 2021, 01:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraz View Post
I had a look at Fotospeed's own instructions and it kind of states to make up that amount, it's a pity that it doesn't warn against trying to make up smaller amounts instead of just pouring small amounts into a tray that comes from the larger amount and then pouring back into stock solution at the end

I can understand why you did what you did, Faraz

Mike
Old 23rd February 2021, 01:51 PM
Friend

I mix my own concentrates and put them in two small 250ml bottles, and then dilute and mix as required. It's cheaper, is just, if not more versatile and is really easy to do.

I know a lot of people aren't into mixing their own, but trust me, it's very simple to do.

Terry S
Old 23rd February 2021, 01:56 PM
Friend

Mike, you make up the 1 litre amount and pour the whole of the litre into the tray every time or else you are defeating the object, pouring just a small amount of the litre into the tray you will be no better of, it will go off just as quickly and you will need to discard it, never pour a smaller amount of toner or bleach back into the bottle or the whole litre will go off, I don't know about Fotospeed's own instructions, but I speak from experience, I have made every mistake under the sun when learning, but mixing and using the full amount until it loses it's potency is the best way to go
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies