Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th December 2019, 02:46 PM
Friend

The resolution of a typical pinhole camera is quite low, perhaps 60...100 line-pairs per mm on 120 film, so there is no point in spending lots on a premium enlarger lens. If the pinhole is made smaller, diffraction will cause blurring, decreasing the resolution. Ilford will, no doubt, have got the compromise right
Old 27th December 2019, 07:03 AM
Friend

Thanks everyone for your advice. There's a lot to think about there - I appreciate the general trend is not to bother trying to adapt a Paterson lens though and I've started looking at some 39mm enlarger lenses on that there interwebs.

I really appreciate everyone who has taken a few minutes to offer their advice and opinion.

Happy New Year to everyone

Kieran
Old 27th December 2019, 07:17 AM
Friend

https://wycameras.com/collections/en...6-componon-exc

OK price for a 80mm lens from a reputable manufacturer.. Will stand you in good stead if you became more serious about 120 film. There is a newer f4 version, but more expensive.

As someone pointed out, pinhole is 'low fidelity' photography. If you're unlikely to ever buy a more serious 120 camera then get on ebay and just buy the very cheapest 80mm you can find.
Old 27th December 2019, 08:13 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I think there may be an anomaly in the Paterson information. If you read the information about the enlarger it says that the lens mount is 39mm, quote: “ The enlarger lens mount is a standard 39mm thread which will accommodate a wide range of lenses and it can be supplied with either a 50mm lens for use with 35mm negatives or a 75mm lens for use with 6×6 negatives.”

In that case why would Paterson sell enlarger lenses that do not fit their standard mount? I agree that the Paterson lens information states 42mm but I am wondering if that refers in error to the filter thread on the front of the kens.

I would be inclined to wait until after they re-open following the Christmas/New Year holiday and contact them to clarify that.

As other have said there are a number of 39mm thread lens options available. I would get a 39mm threaded lens like a Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikon or Durst rather than the Paterson one. However the final decision is yours to make. The Durst lenses tend to slip under the radar but they are excellent quality and made for Durst by various of the major lens makers.
Old 24th January 2020, 08:40 AM
Friend

Hi all, me again.
Firstly thanks again for all the different advice, although particularly to skellum as West Yorkshire Cameras were incredibly helpful and generally brilliant. I now have a lovely Schneider 80mm lens which I am looking forward to using.

Secondly, and this will definitely make the more seasoned among you sigh with the kinds of newbie mistakes I am still making in my work, I realised that the lens was not enough. The image circle from the lens is not covering the whole of the 6x6 neg, and I am getting a circular projection from the enlarger.

I went back to the manual (it's a bit confusing because the manual covers 4 different models of enlarger and there is nothing on my enlarger to indicate which model I have - I had to guess based on the accessories that came with it when I got it off ebay) and my best guess is that the condenser is optimised for 135 film rather than 120 and therefore I need a new condenser.

So my questions to the wise heads of FADU are:
  1. Does it sound like I am correct about what the issue is?
  2. If so does anyone know anywhere I can get a new condenser at a reasonable price? I've looked at Speedgraphic, RK and Fotospeed, but I'll be honest, I can't afford a £150 new condenser - my photographic work is turning into too much of a money pit as it is, so if it means yet another expensive component I guess I'll just have to leave this project on the shelf for a while. Not seeking sympathy, just didn't want to waste people's time on here. Ebay is looking a bit thin on the ground btw.
Old 24th January 2020, 09:35 AM
Friend

Just a word about Second Hand Darkroom. Their website states that they are closed for a major re-vamp, but will re-open on Monday 3rd Feb.

Another supplier of used equipment is Mr Cad. They are very useful for that rare and otherwise unobtanium item, but they tend to be very expensive. (With the emphasis on VERY!)
Old 24th January 2020, 10:36 AM
Friend

With Kaiser you will probably need a different lens board for 75mm plus lenses from that used for 50mm lenses. The 50mm lenses is recessed into the lens board ( really just a collar holding the lens) whereas with the 80mm lens is set further away from the negative. People like RK or Silverprint should supply them.

Tony
Old 24th January 2020, 12:51 PM
Friend

Rather than making a money pit deeper - I don't know where or how much you paid for your current enlarger - but having the longer lens now, it may actually be cheaper to keep an eye on ebay.co.uk for an enlarger that comes with all the bits necessary for 6 x 6 printing. Then if more than one is available at a good price, you can then, hopefully, choose the cheaper one that doesn't come with the lens, which you now have.

It's just a thought, but enlargers do sell for ridiculously low prices sometimes. It's just a matter of waiting for a while sometimes.

As for the 135 enlarger, keep it to use if you have the space. Some people prefer having two enlargers for the two different formats, and it can of course also be used for pre-flashing paper.

Finally, jut checking, there is one of your model on ebay at the moment, with no bids on. Might be worth enquiring about what it comes with and then keeping an eye on it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kaiser-En...8AAOSwvgheKcjg

Terry S

Tags
enlarger, enlarger lens, kaiser
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies