Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st December 2009, 06:42 PM
Friend

Default Tim Rudman's Master Photographer's Toning Book

I nearly put this in the "New Products and Offers" section as I think there may be several here who'd like to get hold of the above book. If there are then they will be disappointed as it has become scarcer than hens' teeth.

I am sure that occasionally a copy will fall into a seller's hands and buyers will then be asked to pay an extortionate, insane price to reflect its scarcity value. I last saw a copy a couple of months ago for about £100!

I took the liberty to write to Tim about this to see if he was aware of its scarcity and the denial of an excellent source of knowledge for would-be toners. I also took the liberty of mentioning that FADU recently had used a low volume printing method to produce the FADU equivalent of the Best of Friends volume.

He is aware of its scarcity and is reviewing his options and it struck me that those here with the experience of small volume book production, like Dave but maybe others as well, will know whether the Toning Book's required high quality of reproduction can be met by such method as applied to the FADU book and might be willing to give him the benefit of their knowledge.

It strikes me that within FADU we have the expertise to advise on this and can maybe help the general analogue community out there if the method of book production used here can meet Tim's requirements.

I can understand Tim's reluctance to appear to be self promoting here but I don't see the reproduction of such a key book in this light.

Can I start a ball rolling here which might lead to an expansion of analogue knowledge on the subject of toning for those currently denied such a source.

I happen to have obtained the book by sheer good luck a few months ago( the seller obviously had no idea of its soon-to-be scarcity value). but I'd like to see others benefit from the wisdom contained in it and I hope that in my eagerness to do something about it ,I haven't contravened the FADU constitution on advertising.

Thanks

Mike
Old 31st December 2009, 06:58 PM
Friend

Currently the asking price is close to £150 per copy, but I'm sure your local library will arrange to source a copy.
Old 31st December 2009, 07:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Currently the asking price is close to £150 per copy, but I'm sure your local library will arrange to source a copy.

I picked my copy up for £10.00 a few months back from a local book clearance shop . If I had known it was so scarce I would have asked if they had any more copy's .

Paul
Old 31st December 2009, 08:25 PM
Friend

I got my copy from http://used.addall.com/ about 12 months ago for £23.00 plus postage. The only 2 copies listed now are both over £100.00.

nn
Old 31st December 2009, 09:30 PM
Friend

I could maybe pay the national debt off with my signed copy. No, it's NOT for sale.
Old 1st January 2010, 05:15 AM
Friend

Thanks all and a Happy New Year from a relatively sober Scot at just after 5:00am on New Year's morning. From what you have said there appears to be clear evidence that the demand for Tim's book exceeds supply which what my findings have lead me to believe as well.

Can we supply him with advice about the reproduction quality of the FADU book to allow him to decide what his options are if he wants to undertake the reproduction of his Toning book?

Mike
Old 1st January 2010, 06:28 PM
Friend

Mike, watch the price of books like this one on Amazon

They seem to fluctuate wildly for no obvious reason.

I bought the book about 12months ago for about £20 from Amazon - so be patient and infrequently check its price.

If you want to pop over - you can borrow my copy

Martin
Old 1st January 2010, 07:26 PM
Friend

Thanks Martin and Dave. If you look at my thread towards the bottom you'll see that I have got the book. Maybe I should have made that clearer as it may have got hidden in my tendency to ramble. While composing the thread, I had thought I had better mention that fact in case readers got hung up on helping me when in fact the real purpose was to emphasise that Tim himself is aware of the problem of supply not matching demand but also recognises that a full re-run via the normal publishing route isn't probably justified either.

This had set me wondering whether anyone here might care to give the benefit of their knowledge of how small volume publising via BLURB is attempted and whether the reproduction quality required for the Toning book is essentially there in the BLURB process. This could be either as a continuation of this thread or directly with Tim who is a friend.

I suspect that most if not all of us here may either have the book or not be into toning and thus not need it. We are probably a very experienced and self sufficient group and may be not representative of struggling analogue tyros out there who may need all the knowldege they can get if they are to be encouraged to continue with analogue.

Anything we can do to help prevent a situation whereby the last analoguer alive is eventually asked to put out the lights : is I feel worthwhile.

Mike
Old 1st January 2010, 07:39 PM
Friend

Those that have took part in our exhibition and brought a copy of FADU 2009 may be able to comment on Blurb's reproduction process. My feeling is that it would fall a little short of Tim's requirements at the present time.
Old 7th January 2010, 03:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Those that have took part in our exhibition and brought a copy of FADU 2009 may be able to comment on Blurb's reproduction process. My feeling is that it would fall a little short of Tim's requirements at the present time.
Thanks Dave and thanks everyone. It doesn't sound as though there is too much experience or advice here in response to Mike's post - and thank you Mike for bringing it to my attention.
I have approached Amazon's 'Creatspace' at someone's suggestion
(link here). Does anyone have experience of this?.

I have also raised a post on another forum to explore this further. thanks for any help forthcoming.
Tim
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies