Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd December 2013, 05:12 PM
Friend

Default How much for a Darkroom

How much do you cost to construct your darkroom? and How much I need to spend to build a darkroom ,for both B&W , colour .
I am rookie here ,please give me advics.
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:15 AM
Friend

Hi and welcome to FADU. Congratulations on your decision to have a go at darkroom work. It really depends on whether you already have a room available for conversion in a house or need to convert a garden shed, buy a shed or can convert an outhouse. It may even be that you have to temporarily convert a bathroom

Let us know which describes your circumstances and at how much if any equipment you have and we can try and target our replies.

What do you want us to call you? Is it Mo or Blackmo?

Mike
Old 3rd December 2013, 01:16 AM
Friend

I don't have the space for doing prints and film in the same room so I use parts of two bathrooms to do my film and prints. My Omega B-22 enlarger cost $80. I have Nikkor 50mm and 80mm enlarging lenses that cost $5 each at a camera store that is going all-digital and most everything else is a bargain from the Internet, thrift shops or one dollar stores. It doesn't have to cost the Crown Jewels.
Old 3rd December 2013, 02:35 AM
Friend

I budgeted and spent $5000. The enlargers and lenses were free but the other things weren't: walls and doors, hot and cold running water plumbed in, drains, multiple taps, biggest custom made PVC sink that would fit, 14 electrical outlets, shelves everywhere, four safelights, split system airconditioner, and an indulgent stereo sound system.

Since I'm going to be in there for several hundred hours a year I reckon a comfortable work environment is essential. I've build cheap darkrooms and I'll confirm the truth of an old saying. Your first darkroom you build for an enemy, your second for a friend, and the third for yourself.
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:32 PM
Friend

Hi there.
As already pointed out it largely depends on the space available in your house. Basically you need a room that can be easily totally darkened, possibly with water supply. That said if you can identify the space you plan to dedicate as your darkroom I think you'll get plenty of advice on how to set up the room in the best and cost effective way.
Talking about equipment you don't need much to start with, and then you can add up in a second time. The most expensive bit is the enlarger, but, again, tell us the format(s) you shoot and someone will be able to point a suitable machine. If you have a small budget even a basic bw condenser unit will do the job, I mean even color with a set of gel CP filters. With less than 100€ you can find measurement cylinders (50-100-1000ml), a jug to mix the chemicals, three 24x30 trays, a funnel, a development tank and a thermometer. you don't need much else to start going with b/w.

Cheers, M.
Old 8th December 2013, 10:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Hi and welcome to FADU. Congratulations on your decision to have a go at darkroom work. It really depends on whether you already have a room available for conversion in a house or need to convert a garden shed, buy a shed or can convert an outhouse. It may even be that you have to temporarily convert a bathroom

Let us know which describes your circumstances and at how much if any equipment you have and we can try and target our replies.

What do you want us to call you? Is it Mo or Blackmo?

Mike
You can call me Mo lol ,and thank you very much with your answer,I want to rent a space to contruct a deeply funcitonal darkroom
Old 8th December 2013, 10:44 AM
Friend

Thank you very much sir for your answer beautifully .
Old 8th December 2013, 04:28 PM
Friend

Good luck with renting. An excellent idea as long as the landlord is reliable and he/she will not seek to break the agreement with short notice.

Have you got a place in mind? If so then as it won't be part of your property you will need to ensure that water and electricity is available or easily obtained. Ideally running water with a waste exit

Beyond that it's a question of your budget. A good enlarger with a good lens is probably the biggest expense but if space is limited then a Nova print processor will be worth considering.

Development tanks and trays, if you don't go for a Nova can be had from the likes of SDS and AgPhotographic, a sponsor here or e-bay

You'll need a print easel such as a Paterson for 5x7 and 8x10 prints - again e-bay is worth a look - and a Paterson test strip printer is useful.

Most of the rest is chemicals for developing and processing film and prints. I'd buy from one of our sponsors for this stuff. Ilford's range is a good starting place and its website contains instructions on processing.

Colour is a whole new area. If you are a rookie then I'd be inclined to leave colour work until you have experience in B&W

Mike

I'd also read get
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies