Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th March 2015, 10:12 PM
Friend

Great help and advice gentlemen, as always on this forum.
Many thanks,
Michael
Old 11th March 2015, 10:23 PM
Friend

While the band appears on some frames, is the banding much darker on the edges?

We can only fire shots in the dark on this on a forum but I once had this happen once only with an Agfa 120 out of many films put through it. It was simply the result of not ensuring that the film had been tightly wound on and sealed with the tape when removed from the camera so the light leak was light creep from loosely rolled film. No issues with bellows or any other light leak within the camera

However if this is a post film-removal light leak then the very edges should be darker and the banding is unlikely to be even and to affect the end frames rather than start frames as the start frames are likely to be more tightly wound and more impenetrable from light ingression

Mike
Old 12th March 2015, 03:00 AM
Friend

I have attached an adjusted image for you to see what you can get by playing with levels/contrast/brightness in an image editor.

This exagerates the artefacts in film scan making it easier to determine what has caused them.

You can see the blotchiness of the dark band which is probably bubbles on developer surface which reel has slidden up into.
And I can see more than one line across so the reel has probably moved position a bit each time you have done an inversion routine.
But it is very dark in the corners which is odd and that may another problem, possibly some vignetting.
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	2299

Last edited by Argentum; 12th March 2015 at 03:04 AM.
Old 12th March 2015, 10:33 AM
Friend

To make sure the camera is not leaking light cut a sheet printing paper to fit in the back of the camera and leave for a few minutes. When it is developed it will show as a black mark if there is a leak. It will also indicate where to look for the leak.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 12th March 2015, 10:40 AM
Friend

It does look like vignetting, being much more pronounced at the lower corners of the picture, but it's odd that it does not appear equally at the other corners. These cameras (I have two) do not suffer badly from this problem in my experience, and it is a fault that one would expect to be even in its distribution.
As it's a folder, I wonder if the lens is vertically parallel to the film plane when folded out for use. Alternatively, is it displaced so that the centre of the lens is below the cetre of the frame? Worth checking.
Old 12th March 2015, 10:51 AM
Friend

It does look like a bit of Vignetting at the corners, Did you use a lens hood with a filter for these ? that has happened to me when using both and the filter is not centered correctly, as it is a problem getting filters for these cameras I attach with blu tak, and on some if I set the filter inside the lens hood this is a problem, and not on all corners. The lens not allingned would not cause a problem like this, It is most likely a loose or fat wind off for the film or the film reel has slipped up the reel in developing causing the film to be slightly out of the developer,hence if inverting the tank it pays to use 600 rather than 500 ml to develop the film, so take and develop another film and report back
Richard
Old 12th March 2015, 11:36 AM
Friend

Just a question from me on the issue of the reel riding up and part of the film being out of the developer for some of the time hence the suggestion of an extra 100ml of developer.

If these are neg scans and the black area is a black area on the neg doesn't his indicate full development on possibly an overexposed( as in light leak?) part of the film. I have never scanned but as the neg has been reversed then is it simply that on the neg the area is clear or clearish on the film and the black is the result of the neg reversal?

Can anyone set me straight on this? Thanks

Mike
Old 12th March 2015, 01:16 PM
Friend

a clear area on neg means no light or development on it. Reversing a scan is same as printing it.

If neg moves up out of developer it get reduced development which means undeveloped silver halides which fixer removes which make it clear on neg and dark in print ( and reversed neg scan).

Bear in mind that adjusted image I posted has vastly exagerated the problem so you can see it better.
Fixing the problem of reel moving up spool will not only reduce the dark band but also any vignetting effect in corners to possibly unoticeable.

My advice would be to just try again making sure you rap tank on work bench after each set of inversions to make sure reel slides down to bottom of center column (and add your clip to center column to stop reel slipping in first place).

Then you can scan again and play with levels/contrast/brightness to see if there is any residual vignetting. A lot of old lenses will have a little but not normally enough to be a major problem. And infact a little vignetting can add some aesthetic drama to an image.

Last edited by Argentum; 12th March 2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12th March 2015, 03:41 PM
Friend

I will put another film through it, taking extra care with the winding on loading, clip the reel to the centre column, develop in 600ml and see if that improves matters. No lens hood or filter was used Richard.
Michael
Old 12th March 2015, 04:01 PM
Friend

Michael,
Make sure the lens is stopped down, with my folders I normally find that F11 is the optimal setting, my old lenses, especially the triplets, give there best results at 11, I will say, however, that when I do get a bit of vigneting I kind of like it, it suits a lovely old camera, but if I were you I wouldn't worry about that, just have fun with the camera
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies