Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th April 2019, 08:23 PM
Friend

Default Lens position of shutter release.

This maybe a daft question, when looking at your lens mounted on your large format camera what is the best place to have the shutter release? I have seen pics of cameras with the shutter release cable dangling down with the shutter release at 9:00 o'clock others where the cable is threaded horizontally from the 12:00 o'clock position. Does it all depend where the aperture/shutter speeds are marked on the lens or is it to do with which side you stand. Does it matter of you are left or right handed?
Old 30th April 2019, 08:38 PM
Friend

I used to have my lenses mounted so that the shutter release was at 6 o'clock, but found out that, when using tilt on the front standard, the cable release would foul on the uprights.

I've reset them all now so that the release is at 9 o'clock, the cocking lever at 12 o'clock and the shutter opener at 3 o'clock.

Mike
Old 1st May 2019, 06:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
I used to have my lenses mounted so that the shutter release was at 6 o'clock, but found out that, when using tilt on the front standard, the cable release would foul on the uprights.

I've reset them all now so that the release is at 9 o'clock, the cocking lever at 12 o'clock and the shutter opener at 3 o'clock.

Mike
Thank you, good tip! I am close to putting together a large format system, so all little gems like the latter are welcome.
Old 1st May 2019, 07:32 AM
Friend

Some lenses have a locating pin to secure the lens so that it doesn't rotate in the lens board, the lens board has a slot at 6 0'clock, and the pin is also at 6 o'clock.

Compur and Prontor/Ibsor shutters have the release arm at approx &@30/8 o'clock this is because some cameras have a shutter release on the body that links to it With oler dial set shutters the speed setting dial should be at 12:00.

With the first rimset Compurs the indicator line for the shutter speed should be at 12 o'clock and the aperture scale sits neatly at the bottom.

With later Compurs and Copals there's vaiations, some Copals have the speed markings on the rotation speed control ring, and a line at 12 o'clock indicates the set speed, others have a line on the ring and the speeds are marked on the face plate.

However all are designed to have the shutter release lever in that 7:30/8 o'clock position if shutter release linkage is required. This goes back to the late 1890's when folding pocket cameras became available particularly with shutters like the 1902 Compound, and the Compur in 1912..

The early dial set Compur is derived from the Compound using a geared slow speed governor instead of a pneumatic piston.

Of course you can position a lens any way you want, I keep mine mounted in the standard way simply because it's easier to work quickly and intuitively with the controls in te same place. Plus a few of my lenses have the locating pins and matching lens boards.

Ian
Old 1st May 2019, 07:50 AM
Friend

Ian thank you for your most informative response.
Old 1st May 2019, 01:30 PM
Administrator

I just let it lay wherever it lands and concentrate on getting the aperture and shutter speeds in a convenient location (especially with a wideangle in a recessed lensboard).

I quite enjoy the exciting little hunt for the shutter release socket every time I change lenses
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:50 AM
Friend

My lens panels are square - non specific as to rotation. I still can't get them in the same way round each time.....
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:25 PM
Friend

At 9 0'clock generally as on the Technar I was using today at Rydal and Grasmere. Normally I have the 75mm in helical mount fitted but here it's rigged up with a Schneider super angulon 58xl on a Linhof wide angle focusing device shooting 6x12 in preparation for Ireland in the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	technar (2).jpg
Views:	479
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	3114  

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 3rd May 2019, 04:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
My lens panels are square - non specific as to rotation. I still can't get them in the same way round each time.....
All my lenses were mounted in the early '70s by Sinar on their square boards; the boards have their logo in the lower left corner (facing the camera) which makes it easy to attach the lens the same way each time. If your boards have no logo, just put a dot of tape in the same corner of each board.

Sinar mounted my lenses with the cable socket about 9 o'clock (facing the camera), and all shutter and aperture settings are in the same locations - very convenient.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies