Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st April 2013, 09:30 PM
Friend

Default the greatest camera

I was reading up on the history of the Nikon f camera and it seems to have played a vital role in the development of 35mm film cameras, I know that the Leica camera also played an even more vital role, but when it comes to iconic status I believe that the Nikon f camera wins hands down ,and has never been surpass .
that's my opinion what's your opinion , also what camera would you say was the best camera ever made (film cameras only please) I have been thinking about this and haven't cum up with an answer .
I own quite a lot of Nikon cameras and a zenza bronica etrsi and a mamiya pro sd rb67 and enjoy using them all ,but the greatest camera ever made I don't know, what's your opinion and dose it really matter ..
Old 1st April 2013, 09:37 PM
Friend

It's subjective, I've always thought Nikons were awful cameras poor ergonomoics except those built for them.

The only Nikon I'd have bought was the FM.

Pentax, Canon and Topcon made far better cameras, and Minolta weren't far behind.

Ian
Old 1st April 2013, 10:57 PM
Friend

I think there will probably be as many different opinions here as there are cameras. As a Nikon user for many years, I'd agree with you with regards to the Nikon F, but I think it may be easier to actually pick the best camera made by each manufacturer - in saying that, even this is subjective.

For me personally, anything mechanical goes to the top of the list. In the case of Nikon, I'd mention the F2, FM, FM2n and FM3a as being some of their best models in terms of reliability. Although I've never been an Olympus owner, their OM-1 and OM-2 models were superb. Many years ago before switching to Nikon, I owned both the Pentax MX and LX and found the latter developed several problems despite it being marketed as a 'professional' model.

I'd possibly pick either the Nikon F or F2 if I was forced to choose one when talking about 35mm cameras. However, I look forward to other suggestions which I'm certain will follow.

Last edited by Carl V; 1st April 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 1st April 2013, 11:57 PM
Friend

I loved my F2s, I was almost as happy with my F3s but they were both very heavy. For lightness and compactness I was a huge fan of my OM1s and OM2s... But when Olympus gave us the OM4Ti with it's phenomenal spot metering system, Titanium coating and the compact lightness of the established OM system... Well I still use them as my main film kit.
Old 2nd April 2013, 06:25 AM
Friend

One of the best Slr's I personally ever owned was an Exacta, they were among the first cameras of this type, if not the first, fitted easily into my hands, and had a great selection of lenses, and was a true system camera, could be used for any application, I still have negatives that I took on various Exakta's that I used years ago.
Richard
Old 2nd April 2013, 06:59 AM
Friend

Default greatest camera

Surely this is 'in the eyes of the beholder'. one particular camera will suit one person whilst another will suit another so how do you judge what was the 'worlds greatest camera?

Do we look at ergonomics or handling in another words, the weight (or lack of it), the reliability, the type, the available accessories, the cost, the name, the involved technology, the format, or even the looks?

I would say there absolutely no way that you can say which is the worlds best camera. What is good for one is absolutely rubbish for another. Sorry this is an old argument that has never been or will be answered satisfactorily, a bit like a question of 'How long is a piece of string'?
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:05 AM
Friend

Nikon FM!

As the dealer I bought mine off says, "there's everything you need on it, and nothing you don't".

I think of it as a rangefinder-sized SLR, as it's so small and compact.

The only thing I don't like is the name, as "Nikon FM" sounds like one of those God-awful commercial radio stations that play "golden oldies" all day.

Last edited by JamesK; 2nd April 2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:54 AM
Friend

Location: we share our time between Toronto (Ontario) and Gabriola Island (British Columbia) both in Canada

I suspect for most the answer to this question is the film camera you currently use and enjoy the most. My first "real camera" was a Minolta SR1s which I purchased in 1968. So when I got back into photography 10 years ago I checked out EBay and couldn't believe how cheap the old Minolta cameras and lenses were. So I purchased a Minolta X700 and a bunch of lenses. Love the camera! the irony is that with the advent of the new mirror less exchangeable lens digital cameras the cost of those old Minolta lenses has gone up quite a bit.
Old 2nd April 2013, 07:47 PM
Friend

This might really be two questions. "What is the Greatest ever camera" in terms of how it changed the practice of photography, or advanced the art. The other question might be, what's the greatest camera for me, and THAT question will have a million answers.
Objectively, the first roll film Brownie must be a game-changer. Easy to use, (relatively) affordable, rugged, portable. The beginning of popular photography. The first Leica rangefinders? Real quality out of small film.
Later, there are important trends and more versatility in cameras, but some fabulous cameras (Hasselblad system?) sometimes cost so much few people had access to them. In fact, the pursuit of technical progress might sometimes have been a bad thing- one of the things which helped kill Minolta cameras was a costly law-suit over Autofocus patents.
Best camera for me? My Mamiya C330s. I think roll film hits the sweet-spot in the cost/ convenience trade off. Yes, my 35mm cameras are smaller, cheaper on film, and quick to use (went shooting rugby on Saturday- perfect tool for the job). The prints, though, have visible grain and I'd forgotten how bloody useless a 35mm contact sheet is.
5x4 makes beautiful images, allows perspective control and zone processing, but by God it is s l o w in use, cost more per shot, and just can't be described as 'spontaneous'.
The Mamiya isn't perfect, but has interchangeable lenses, no battery, bomb-proof build quality and good close focus. Maybe I'd be even happier with a Pentax 67, or a Hasselblad 500cm, BUT, sometimes you have to back a horse and just stick with it.
Of course, I have been on Ffordes website checking Bronica SQA's, and Dynax 7's (Now for 90 quid!!!), and 10x8 Shen Hao's . . .
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies