Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd October 2016, 11:09 PM
Friend

Default Paper recommendations please

Since starting darkroom printing earlier this year I've mostly used satin finish Ilford MGIV paper where I don't want a gloss finish, but I find the textured finish slightly annoying. To my mind it impairs the clarity of the image compared to glossy paper. I've also tried Adox MCP312 paper which is smoother and more pearly, although I think I prefer the tonality of Ilford paper.

So to my question, is there a paper which has a finish like artist's cartridge paper? - ie a natural 'papery' finish with a tiny degree of sheen rather than being artificially matt.

I have a suspicion that we're looking at FB paper here (?)
Old 24th October 2016, 07:43 AM
Friend

Default Paper choices

Off hand I can't think of anything EXACTLY similar to what you would like. I have had a quick look at a website for AG photographic and they have probably the best range of papers from different manufacturers that are readily available. Just google AG photographic.

They do have a fibre base matt paper (from Ilford) which is about as close as you will get but that is not exactly as you would like. For what it is worth I have never thought that 'matt' papers are truly 'matt' and always have a slight sheen.

I don't think the clarity of the image to are asking for will be improved with a surface such as you describe. An image with a glossy surface or even a pearl type surface will always have more vibrancy and clarity, but there again only you know what you are after.

I have just copied this from the AG website, it may be what you are after but it is Fibre based and it isn't the cheapest.

Fomatone 'Chamois' 542 is a variable contrast, fibre based paper on a heavy weight base featuring the Fomatone, warmtone, emulsion and a fantastic surface finish, unlike anything else on the market. Sister paper to 'Nature' 532, the surface is a matt, but not a dead matt: there is still a degree of reflectance and faint texture. As the name suggests this paper features a strong base tint which makes for very warm tone prints, and creamy highlights. It could be seen as an alternative to the old Kentmere Art Classic, or some of the other more exotic, now discontinued, papers from other manufacturers. This is a paper which is almost infinitely flexible and photographers can indulge themselves over and over again experimenting with different developer / dilution combinations. Fomatone 542 also Liths well. Not the cheapest, but given it's endless flexibility, and being one of the most unique papers on the market today, it's certainly very good value indeed.

Last edited by John King; 24th October 2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 24th October 2016, 08:16 AM
Friend

What they don't tell you is you need a 'special' neg for this 'special' paper. It is no doubt it is a great paper but not something I would choose for everyday printing - even if had a pot of gold in my pension fund

It was the same with Kentmere Art - get the right subject / neg on it and you could start clearing your shelf for all the cups you were likely to win.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 24th October 2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 24th October 2016, 08:22 AM
Friend

I would suggest that you use a glossy FB paper, the glossy FB papers are closer to lustre RC, not a deep gloss, The only other suggestion I can make is to use a kentmere fine lustre in RC, somewhere between silk and glossy, but remember that matt papers reduce the Dmax of your prints, you will not get same contrast as glossy, and you might well have to print slightly harder grade to get the results you seem to be after,
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 24th October 2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: can't spell my own name
Old 24th October 2016, 09:22 AM
Administrator

What about Ilford Art300? Has a slight sheen but a textured surface.
Old 24th October 2016, 10:35 AM
Friend

I'd echo Barry's recommendation. Art 300 has a bit more texture than cartridge paper; but it's not as rough as, say, Bockingford watercolour paper (which I use for blueprints).
Old 24th October 2016, 12:18 PM
Friend

The Fomatone and Ilford Art 300 papers were both on my list of possibles, but it's also interesting to note that Ilford FB glossy is not too glossy.

This is probably me getting excessively picky and esoteric, but I suppose I'm looking for a paper where the finished print says 'Art' rather than simply 'Photograph' (assuming I can produce a worthy image in the first place!).

Obviously this would not be for everyday use, which is fortunate given the price of these papers. In what way does the Fomatone paper need a 'special' negative? - I've looked at example prints on flickr which all look rather wonderful in a dark and grim sort of way.
Old 24th October 2016, 12:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
The Fomatone and Ilford Art 300 papers were both on my list of possibles, but it's also interesting to note that Ilford FB glossy is not too glossy.

This is probably me getting excessively picky and esoteric, but I suppose I'm looking for a paper where the finished print says 'Art' rather than simply 'Photograph' (assuming I can produce a worthy image in the first place!).

Obviously this would not be for everyday use, which is fortunate given the price of these papers. In what way does the Fomatone paper need a 'special' negative? - I've looked at example prints on flickr which all look rather wonderful in a dark and grim sort of way.
Fomatone chamois says it all, the paper surface is almost chamois like in colour, a lovely paper, one of the warmest papers around, so to get the best you need the right negative, a negative that crys out for a lot of warmth, not every negative suits this sort of treatment, but with the right negative it can be simply stunning
Richard
Old 24th October 2016, 12:53 PM
Friend

The surface of Ilford MG FB Matt is, to my mind, just like drawing paper. I have used it in small sizes, and it is very different to either glossy or satin finished papers. The gloss of Ilford FB papers is not as glossy as their RC equivalents. It can be made more glossy by glazing on a heated drier, if you can perfect the technique. I've also used Chamois from Foma which is really nice and different. It's also much slower than RC papers and needs quite long exposures. It tones really well in sepia or selenium.
I would try to get some Ilford FB Matt to see what you think.
Alex.
Old 24th October 2016, 01:49 PM
Friend

Is it possible to get what I think is called a "swatch" of papers still? By that I mean a small book of the same photograph on the range of papers made. The swatch will be from one manufacturer only of course so you'd need one from say Ilford, Foma, Adox etc

Nova Darkroom, now Nova Imaging I think used to have just such a swatch when I visited their premises in Warwick, now Stratford- upon-Avon. It was a picture of Ronnie Scott, the jazz artist, if I recall correctly.

Given Matt's range of papers at AgPhotographic he may know if such swatches are obtainable

I imagine you will have to pay for each swatch.

Best of luck

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies