Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th March 2013, 09:56 PM
Friend

Default I suppose it had to happen!

I was walking around Whitby yesterday with my wife and I stopped to take a couple of images on my Yashica 124G, all of a sudden there was this exclamation from a passer by 'Bloody hell Lad, (I'm 54) can you still get film for that?' He then went on to extol the virtues of his Digital Canon SLR with standard zoom lens and proceeded to tell us he had been offered a Hasselblad with 3 lenses a couple of years ago for £200 but turned it down because digital was the way forward.

I didn't say too much in the hope he would move on elsewhere and leave me to my nostalgic pleasures.

Just developing the 2 rolls of Tri-X now in some Caffenol CL which I made myself. I wonder if I had told him I was planning on using Coffee to develop the film he would have believed me, many don't.
Old 29th March 2013, 10:06 PM
Friend

Yes, same thing happens to me from time to time. I'm more than happy to chat to anybody who approaches me about my camera, and more often than not, we end up having a pleasant conversation. However more recently, I was photographing a classic car exhibition and a photographer came over to me in astonishment that I was still shooting with film. He was very polite I have to add, but he made it pretty clear that digital was the only way to shoot. Whatever takes his fancy I guess.
Old 29th March 2013, 10:13 PM
Friend

Last time I was in Istanbul, late 2010 , I was stopped and asked about my Yashicamat 124, then I was offered about £250 if I would sell it there and then (for cash), I needed it the next week or so or I'd have sold it.

In Venice a few days later it provoked great response, quite a few times, a woman telling her kids there's a real camera was the best

It's all relative.

I don't do the Digital/Analog arguement I know ones better in some ways than another and have to make a choice, but personal work is Analog.

Ian
Old 29th March 2013, 10:33 PM
Friend

I was in my local re-reading some old copies of the MPP users club Gaz with a pint or two when young man looked over my shoulder exclaiming "that looks interesting, do you use cine as well? I have both still and cine cameras"
I said no just still and I like old ones but I have a couple of digitals too.
"No" he said "That's the dark side"

I usually say I work on the dark side, well in the dark. I'm a mushroom at times.
Old 29th March 2013, 10:35 PM
Friend

If someone offers me a Hasselblad with lenses for £200 they'll need a new hand after I bite it off.
Old 29th March 2013, 10:42 PM
Friend

I have no problem with digital at all, I personally just prefer film. I still have a few digital cameras and use them for work issues or when a quick result is needed, but I prefer shooting with my LF stuff so the Yashicamat rarely gets used and I can't remember when I last shot with either of my Pentax LXs (November 2011 according to my flickr)and it is even longer since I used my Super A or Pentax MX.
Old 29th March 2013, 10:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulographic View Post
If someone offers me a Hasselblad with lenses for £200 they'll need a new hand after I bite it off.
You and me both
Old 29th March 2013, 10:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
Yes, same thing happens to me from time to time. I'm more than happy to chat to anybody who approaches me about my camera, and more often than not, we end up having a pleasant conversation.
That's usually how it happens with me. Occasionally I get the odd idiot, but something along the lines of "I don't need a camera to do my thinking for me" (despite often having a couple of DSLRs in the bag too) usually shuts them up and makes them go away. If they still want to get into a pissing contest (with their little 350D/D3100 and plastic kit lens), out comes the 70-200, full size pro body, etc. Same result, they go away.

Last edited by Kaouthia; 29th March 2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 29th March 2013, 10:53 PM
Friend

TLRs do seem to attract attention.

I was asked recently if my C220 did cine as well!
Old 30th March 2013, 06:09 AM
Friend

I was once out with my Rolleiflex and was asked what it was, explaining to the young person that it was a 50 year old camera, using film, he was very interested indeed, and called his friend over to look at the camera, After talking about the Rolleiflex, and other cameras in my collection for at least an hour they asked me where I got them, A few weeks later I was out with my Ensign 12/20 when I met up with them again and found them both kitted out with TLR'a and happily taking photographs, having a good time, A while later I gave them a short darkroom course, and I still see them around to this day, so thanks to my Rollei 2 more converts, but it is normally my Folders that get most attention, it is rare for me to be using one and not get a comment, and people wanting to chat about the cameras,even if it starts with can you still get film, and when using an old camera, and someone with a DSLR says something along the lines of Digital is the future I have a stock answer, This is 50/60/70 years old, I can still get it repaired, How long while yours last, That often shuts them up, I do say I have nothing against Digital, I just prefer film.
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies