Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th August 2013, 10:47 AM
Friend

Default Printfile storage

Are these safe to use?

Have bought PrintFile 35-7BXW pages. When I press finger on a pocket, without a negative in, it has that rainbow oily look - anyone else noticed that?

Also have to push negatives quite hard to slide them in and have read here about scratches...

http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...00IeI2?start=0

Don't know what to make of this.

Last edited by gruffemm; 24th August 2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 24th August 2013, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Hi.

The "oily" look is just interference patterns - you get that when you touch two flat transparent surfaces together. It's probably a good thing - indicates how smooth the surface is. Glass negative carriers can cause this which is why they often use a textured glass on the side that sits on the (smoother) non-emulsion side of the negative.

I agree about having to push hard to get negatives in and I am not a fan of that but I've not found a suitable alternative.

Well, except for 5x4 sheet film for which I have bought 7"x5" packets that are essentially a flat tube. I slit one edge off with a trimmer to create a folder to take a sheet of film without any pushing. Static holds the "folder" together.

Last edited by Bob; 24th August 2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 24th August 2013, 02:18 PM
Friend

I have nearly all translucent as opposed to transparent pages. A mixture of Paterson and Kenro.

I suspect and that is all it is, a suspicion, that the translucent pages' texture might mean that negs slide easier.

The downside is that the negs can't be examined properly in the sleeve and can't be contact printed under a heavy plain glass sheet thereby making a Paterson Contact Printer redundant.

However if these two advantages of clearfile pages don't matter that much then it might be worth trying a translucent page.

Mike
Old 24th August 2013, 03:38 PM
Friend

I use Printfile for 35 and 120. I have to say that I have been very pleased with them. I had been using Kenro transparent, but ended up with a batch that was impossible to use. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the strips in. I find the Printfile ones much easier to load. The slots are open at both ends. I try to ensure the top and bottom of each slot is ' pulled apart' slightly before use. You can do this by squeezing together the edges of each slot ( if that makes sense!) Alex
Old 24th August 2013, 03:49 PM
Friend

I too use a mixture of Paterson and Kenro which are translucent as apposed to transparent and are made of paper. I prefer the paper ones because i think they could 'breath', i do not like the idea that moisture could be trapped within clear plastic and damage the films.
The interference rings (Newton's Rings) are nothing to worry about and show how smooth the plastic is. You do not get them with the paper neg files.
Old 24th August 2013, 06:54 PM
Friend

I had the same difficulty trying to insert my 35mm negs in the Kenro sheets until I came up with the idea of inserting a scale ruler in to the pockets and slide it back and forth before I put in my negataives. It does work and once the negs are in they can taken out and put back in without any problem. I'm sure my idea is not original but it did mean that I didn't dump a whole packet of negative sleeves.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 24th August 2013, 07:04 PM
Friend

Many thanks for all the advice.
Glad to hear the "oily" look is good sign.
Have decided to try several products - Printfile have already bought and some of your other suggestions. Wish it wasn't so expensive but film is precious.
Old 24th August 2013, 10:12 PM
Friend

a couple of years ago I bought some kenro clear neg sleeves , my usual ones were kenro but were paper type ,these clear plastic type were driving me mad the strip of negs would only go so fare and seemed to bind with the plastic sleeves I had a scream and chucked them in the dustbin and swore never to buy them again ,and went back to my old type ,,,
last week I run out of 120 sleeves and asked my wife to get me some from camera shop in Romford when she came back she said that they had run out of the ones that I usury have so she got me the clear ones ,and guess what they are just as bad as the 35mm sleeves,,,,
I have found that the cheaper paper ones are better for me than the clear print through plastic ones........

www.essexcockney.com
Old 24th August 2013, 10:55 PM
Friend

This problem of fitting and retrieving a strip of negs from clearfiles has prompted a memory I have.

Wasn't there a neg retriever you could buy that went under the negs for both insertion and retrieval. I think it was simply a length of flat plastic that you placed the negs onto, then inserted them into the file and then pulled out the retriever/inserter.

I don't think I have seen any such thing for a few years but does anyone else remember this device?

Mike
Old 25th August 2013, 07:06 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I don't think I have seen any such thing for a few years but does anyone else remember this device?

Mike
Yes Mike, it was called a Neg Handler and was made in Canada. There was a previous thread that suggested Colab supplied/sold them but they don't appear now in a Google search. Handy and simple little device.

Bill
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies