Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th March 2020, 10:54 PM
Friend

Default Cheapness and Rollie don't mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Ah, I see. So totally different from the ones for the TLRs. Those, of course, sit in front of the lenses. As far as I can ascertain Rollei made a 1.5x tele and a 0.7x wide angle version. I sure hope the prices on ebay are no reflection of what they sell for locally here -- I could buy a whole Hasselblad with Distagon lens for the same price as one puny little Rolleiflex Mutar!
There will be nothing cheap for a Rollieflex so long as they are the genuine article. It is the quality and rarity govern the price. A Rolliewide with a modest 65 or 55mm lens I cannot remember what it was, will now set you back in excess of £2500 - if you can find one that is
Old 20th March 2020, 01:00 AM
Friend

John - sadly that is all true. The little accessories and other bits often cost more than an entire Rolleiflex camera....except the Rollei Wide that is -- there's a terribly beat up one listed locally here now for C$4700! But there are a couple of shops in the US that sell such things for comparatively reasonable prices compared to the ridiculousness going on on ebay. I will check the former once I'm ready to pull the trigger on this.
Old 21st March 2020, 11:54 AM
Friend

Hello Svend,

I use the Rollei Mutars 0,7 and 1,5 on my Rolleiflex 35F.
The optical performance of both converters very good. Use the 0,7 Mutar at f11 or better f16 and the 1,5 Mutar at f8 or f11. At these f stops I cant see a negative influence on the optical performance of my Rolleiflex. If used wide open there is loss in picture quality, even if Rollei said starting at f5,6 the Mutars are at the level of the Planar.
Using the original sunshade is very important.

Regards,
Klaus
Old 21st March 2020, 12:12 PM
Friend

Hallo Klaus!
Thank you for the reply. That is exactly what I was looking for - feedback from someone who has actually used a mutar on a Rolleiflex. I have the same camera as you, I think, 3.5 F Planar, as well as a 3.5C Xenotar. I am very happy to hear of your experience that there is no loss of lens performance. That is most impressive, given the quality of those 3.5 lenses. No other camera I have ever used has had lenses as good, so the prospect of paying a dearly for a mutar device only to have it degrade the original lenses was not something I was prepared to do. Great to hear that that is not the case. Thanks!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies