Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th June 2020, 08:30 AM
Friend

Default Intrepid 4x5 mk4

Well, I’m finally going to bite the bullet and buy a 4x5 in time for my release from confinement.

After a lot of thinking and reading I’m 95% decided on the INTREPID 4X5 MK4 and a suitable 150mm f5.6 lens. One part of the decision is the certainty that a new camera should have less inherent faults (I have zero skills with repairing) plus it’s not too huge a layout of cash compared to other brands (I realise the trade off in functionality vs price). However, I’m a believer in the old adage that it’s the glass that matters more than the camera.

Does anyone have any experience with these Intrepid cameras?

TIA
Old 15th June 2020, 08:48 AM
Friend

Hi Dave, I've just done a quick search for reviews of the Intrepid mk4 and came across this.
I don't know if you've already seen it and I don't want to put you off but it might be worthwhile reading and catching up on the experiences of others.

https://fstoppers.com/film/i-wondere...now-why-484007

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 15th June 2020, 10:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Hi Dave, I've just done a quick search for reviews of the Intrepid mk4 and came across this.
I don't know if you've already seen it and I don't want to put you off but it might be worthwhile reading and catching up on the experiences of others.

https://fstoppers.com/film/i-wondere...now-why-484007
Thanks Marty, an interesting read as you say and the comments were just as enlightening! Thanks for sharing.
Old 17th June 2020, 09:49 AM
Friend

Haven't seen or used an Intrepid, and I was going to say from the pictures online it might be worth looking for something more robust. However, I've just looked on Ffordes and I am stunned at how much more expensive the Shen Hao has become since I bought mine.
Ffordes do have a decent stock of double dark slides in just now- for a while they were hard to find.
I'm guessing you've already considered DDS's, lens, dark-cloth, loupe and other bits.
Good Luck with LF, and Fomapan 100 is both lovely and very affordable while you master the camera. Just mind how you handle the film while wet though, it's a bit soft.
5x4 film processing is a whole thread to itself.
Old 17th June 2020, 12:10 PM
Friend

Dave - Seeing Colin's mention of double dark slides reminds me that I have a superfluity thereof. When the time comes to need some, send me a pm.
Old 17th June 2020, 12:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Haven't seen or used an Intrepid, and I was going to say from the pictures online it might be worth looking for something more robust. However, I've just looked on Ffordes and I am stunned at how much more expensive the Shen Hao has become since I bought mine.
Ffordes do have a decent stock of double dark slides in just now- for a while they were hard to find.
I'm guessing you've already considered DDS's, lens, dark-cloth, loupe and other bits.
Good Luck with LF, and Fomapan 100 is both lovely and very affordable while you master the camera. Just mind how you handle the film while wet though, it's a bit soft.
5x4 film processing is a whole thread to itself.

Thanks Colin. I too would prefer something a little more robust but given that I’m not too heavy handed with kit and the big price differential I am thinking the Intrepid might be a reasonable compromise. A well-known YouTuber (once of this Parish and not one of the many wannabes with all the gear and no idea) uses one so I’m figuring that with careful handling they can produce the goods. The lens will be the most important purchase I’m thinking.

I’ve allowed budget for DDS, dark cloth etc and already have the means to process 5x4 and a 5x4 enlarger that I bought last year. It’s amazing how many extra bits are needed!

I was looking at a monorail this morning on FFordes but wiall start a seperate thread for that

Thanks for your input!
Old 17th June 2020, 01:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Dave - Seeing Colin's mention of double dark slides reminds me that I have a superfluity thereof. When the time comes to need some, send me a pm.
Thanks Michael - I will be in touch!
Old 17th June 2020, 05:38 PM
Friend

Hi Dave,
I do not have any exoerience with this brand, but it is quite famous by now or rather infamous. You may look out for threads on the largeformatphotography.com/forum. According to the reviews on the German large format forum, the majority re-sold their camera very quickly. 90% of all deliveries came very late and there was something broken from the start, or forgotten or just not working. I think that the large format adventure should be fun from the start. You should be able to concentrate on the creative side and not have troubles with the tool. Says Frank, who bought himself a 100y wooden travel camera, which seems to be sturdier than an Intrepid. It is a lot of fun!
Frank
Old 17th June 2020, 06:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
Hi Dave,
I do not have any exoerience with this brand, but it is quite famous by now or rather infamous. You may look out for threads on the largeformatphotography.com/forum. According to the reviews on the German large format forum, the majority re-sold their camera very quickly. 90% of all deliveries came very late and there was something broken from the start, or forgotten or just not working. I think that the large format adventure should be fun from the start. You should be able to concentrate on the creative side and not have troubles with the tool. Says Frank, who bought himself a 100y wooden travel camera, which seems to be sturdier than an Intrepid. It is a lot of fun!
Frank
Hi Frank and thanks for the very useful feedback. I clearly need to frequent other forums in addition to FADU!

I think that between this thread and the one I started on monorail cameras together with a very thoughtful DM I am inclined now to drop the Intrepid from my deliberations!

As you say LF is an adventure and should be fun from the off. I’ve been creating photographs for over forty years and have always enjoyed new ventures - I would like LF to bring me the same fun (along with the tears, tantrums and tribulations)

Thank you again
Old 21st June 2020, 08:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
A well-known YouTuber (once of this Parish and not one of the many wannabes with all the gear and no idea) uses one so I’m figuring that with careful handling they can produce the goods.
I may be missing a vital point, but unfortunately this seems to be almost a requirement for YouTube from what I've seen.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies