Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd November 2020, 10:02 PM
Friend

Default D74/RHS-DC relative to LP Supergrain/Rollei Supergrain/AM-74/RHS

I’ve been using supergrain for a while now and very happy with it but mostly as a one shot developer. I’ve now ordered some D74 developer instead as I believe this is the same but double strength. Although the hydroquinone is the same which from reading is what makes this a better one shot developer. What I’m not sure about is times for the films I want to use. Can I simply half the 1:15 times for supergrain when using this? Also I’ve seen people talk about 1:19 ratios. I don’t seem to be able to find much in the way of data sheets so any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:52 PM
Friend

Hi Adrian,
Robert Vonk at Fotohuis in the Netherlands would be able to answer all your questions. He’s a very helpful guy. Here’s his company’s contact page:
http://shop.fotohuisrovo.nl/contact_us.php

Old 3rd November 2020, 06:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Hi Adrian,
Robert Vonk at Fotohuis in the Netherlands would be able to answer all your questions. He’s a very helpful guy. Here’s his company’s contact page:
http://shop.fotohuisrovo.nl/contact_us.php

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 3rd November 2020, 08:52 AM
Friend

You can try the massive dev chart, but I would wait until the developer arrives and see if the times for your films are listed, Rollei/maco are normally very good at giving developing times on the label, I have used it a while ago, but as Firstcall film developer, same thing just different name, and if I remember it was a very good developer and times were given on the label, or you can try going to the Maco site, they supply and own the Rollei brand and may have more information on it
Richard
Old 5th November 2020, 11:29 PM
Friend

Robert Vonk believes that D74/RHS-DC is a legacy developer now and recommends Rollei Supergrain to be the way to go. I will use the D74 that I’ve ordered at 1:19 as he suggest this is acceptable dilution for a jobo. I’m not sure on the times yet though as he only gave me times for supergrain in the jobo. If anyone else has any experience I’d be grateful to hear.

Old 6th November 2020, 12:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianlambert View Post
I’m not sure on the times yet though as he only gave me times for supergrain in the jobo. If anyone else has any experience I’d be grateful to hear.
In the event that no-one has such experience to relate, Adrian, then assuming you will be using inversion agitation the usual advice is to add anything between 10-20% to the Jobo rotary times.

This sounds a bit vaguer than is ideal, I know, but in reality it still should produce printable negatives and you can adjust future times from the negatives

You might even cut the next film in half or thirds and develop the first set at 10% more, holding the other 2 sets in reserve for the subsequent adjustment if you are prepared to lose 3 negatives instead of one

Mike
Old 7th November 2020, 12:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
In the event that no-one has such experience to relate, Adrian, then assuming you will be using inversion agitation the usual advice is to add anything between 10-20% to the Jobo rotary times.

This sounds a bit vaguer than is ideal, I know, but in reality it still should produce printable negatives and you can adjust future times from the negatives

You might even cut the next film in half or thirds and develop the first set at 10% more, holding the other 2 sets in reserve for the subsequent adjustment if you are prepared to lose 3 negatives instead of one

Mike

Thanks Mike. I wasn’t clear in my original post. I’m using a jobo too, hence Robert specifying those times to me. But, he gave me times for supergrain and not d74. The only other thing he said to me was that I was wrong to assume that d74 times would be half that of supergrain. In other forum searches on d74 I’ve seen people suggest that 1:7 ratio times for supergrain would be the same as the 1:15 times in d74, which does suggest a simple relationship.

I’m shooting a mix of tmax400 and fomapan 200. Tmax is easy, it’ll be on the developer packaging but the fomapan isn’t going to be so easy.

Btw jobo recommends using the same times in their processors as for intermittent inversion developing, but to add a 5 min pre wash - which they say inhibits the developer.

Old 7th November 2020, 12:55 PM
Friend

Btw jobo recommends using the same times in their processors as for intermittent inversion developing, but to add a 5 min pre wash - which they say inhibits the developer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

Yes this is good advice from Jobo. It achieves the same effect as increasing the time and no pre-wet. I didn't include it as many don't use pre-wet

Mike
Old 7th November 2020, 10:09 PM
Friend

Here’s a chart that Firstcall had on their website a few years back. It might help in some way. Like Richard, I seem to remember that Firstcall Superfine was the same developer as Rollei RHS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6075.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	3890

Old 8th November 2020, 12:35 AM
Friend

Thanks but it’s rhs-dc that I’m looking for. This is the same as supergrain I believe.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies