Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th January 2010, 01:54 PM
Friend

Default Spiral tank loading problem?

I have loaded Paterson spiral tanks without problems for 45 years but some years ago I had 3 strokes which effected my motor use with my hands which has reduced my manual dexterity. I am aware of having a couple of TIR's recently which has resulted in a total inability to manipulate film onto the spirals. I wondered if anyone has used the aluminum spiral and tanks where the film is attached and wound on from the centre outwards as opposed to the Paterson tanks where the film is fed through a ball bearing ratchet system. I am considering buying an aluminum tank and spiral but wondered if anyone might comment on the usage of same- thank you

Regards Kenneth
Old 6th January 2010, 02:06 PM
Friend

Kenneth, I'm deeply sorry to hear of the health issues you've had that is effecting manual dexterity. I don't know if this is of some help? With regard to loading Paterson spirals I find it easier to pull the film through the ratchets rather then trying to push the film through.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 6th January 2010, 02:26 PM
Friend

Kenneth, I have no experience of the tanks you speak of, but I do have experience of the Durst range of tanks that load from the center via a loading jig-loader, the film leader is cut to a point, inserted through the loader, passed under a central clip and the spiral turned on the loader axle.
It is far easier to do than explain, I don't know if durst still make these tanks, but they come up from time to time on that auction sight.
From one stroke victim to another,Keep on taking the pills, and the pictures.
Peter
Old 6th January 2010, 02:32 PM
Friend

RK Photographic keep the Hewes range of Stainless Steel reels HERE. Of interest is the Hewes film loaders for various sizes of film that may be of interest to you. The system is very popular, although not interchangeable with the plastic reels.
Old 6th January 2010, 05:18 PM
Friend

Kenneth,Many years ago now I was given a stainless steel tank and spirel which loaded from the center out,You fixed the film at the centre of the spirel and holding the film slightly curved turned the reel and loaded the film, but I found it awkward and returned to the patterson type,I am also told that the range of tanks made by AP are similer to patterson but are a bit easier to load. They are available,as are stainless steel tanks and reels, from Firstcall Richard
Old 6th January 2010, 06:08 PM
Friend

I have some of the Hewes spirals and use one of the loaders for 120. It's very effective and easy. I can manage the 35mm steel spirals but always messed up on the 120 with lots of creases as a result, so for me the loader was great. Being without a darkroom at the moment, though, I use a large pop up changing 'bag'. Worth a thought if you don't have anywhere 'dark' as it's a lot to put in a small bag..
Old 6th January 2010, 06:32 PM
Friend

I use an easy loader device made by Nova Darkroom Supplies. It works for both 35mm and 120 Patterson reels. It is particularly easy for 35mm, you put the reel on one axil and slip the cassett into the other holder. You can feed the film into the reel in the light before you reach the exposed frames, then turn off the light and twist away. It is bit more fiddly with 120 as there is not enough film leader to reach the reel in the light so it all has to be done in the dark but it has turned film loading from being a nightmare to a fairly straight forward job.
Tony
Old 6th January 2010, 06:56 PM
Friend

I too use the NOVA loading device described by Tony. If used in conjunction with the AP plastic reels with wide loading lugs, then loading is very easy. However anyone with the sort of problams detailed by Kenneth really should consider the Hewes reels and loader, even though the system is expensive.
Old 7th January 2010, 09:08 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
RK Photographic keep the Hewes range of Stainless Steel reels HERE. Of interest is the Hewes film loaders for various sizes of film that may be of interest to you. The system is very popular, although not interchangeable with the plastic reels.
Wow, they are expensive Dave and this is a Leica man saying this. Paul Paterson at S/H darkroom is sending me a Jobo Daylight Developing Tank to try and Matthew from Ag is posting me an Ap reel but thank you all for your genuine concerns to my dilemma

Regards Kenneth
Old 7th January 2010, 10:06 PM
Friend

Kenneth, for what it is worth I find the Jobo 35mm reel relatively easy to load from the cannister. You can start it in daylight by holding the film between thumb and index finger and pushing it onto the reel. There are no "balls"/ ratchets or any other kind of encumbrances and then it is simply a question of being able to continue to hold the film at its edges and pushing onto the reel until it reaches the end.

There is very little in the way of finger dexterity required but this kind of thumb and index finger push movement might not be easy for you. It's difficult to say.

For 120 I prefer the Durst system. The reels are plastic but load into the centre via loader. The trick here is to remove all the backing paper and start the film from the masking tape end. Folding the masking tape over the end of the film gives the film extra rigidity so you can push it through the loader and under the metal tongue on the reel's centre more easily. Once it has been caught then all you do is wind the reel by a small arm that sticks out of the top of the reel until it has all gone through the loader.

Durst reels only appear on e-bay rarely however but Secondhand Darkroom Supplies would keep its eye open for such equipment if you were to inform them of your needs.

In theory 120 loading on a Jobo should be easy as there is a place for both thumbs on the sides to allow you to use a push pull method with alternate thumbs. Maybe I just wasn't very good at it. If the reel is bone dry and not worn then pushing with index finger and thumb a la 35mm film should be possible. It's just that 120 film isn't as rigid due to its width.

I hope you get on OK with either or both type on their way to you.

PS Roger Hicks on his Roger and Frances Photography site demostrates this kind of Jobo reel loading if it's of any help in a series of phots with text. I think it is one of his free modules.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies