Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th May 2015, 07:42 AM
Friend

Default Vegabox 35mm Condenser with one lens only

I bought an enlarger with a vegabox 35, which only has the one lens. My basic understanding of condensers is that they need a top and bottom lens to direct the light, like my 66 condenser set. Some questions:

1. does the vegabox 35 have a second lens (I have never seen another vegabox 35, so please forgive this basic question) ?
2. would using the 66 condenser set on 35mm negatives have a noticeable detrimental affect ? If so what are the reasons for making several types of condenser sizes for a particular enlarger model like the M670?

Thanks, David
Old 6th May 2015, 08:40 AM
Friend

Some condenser systems require different sizes to focus the light correctly for various size negatives.

I'm not able to shed light on your other questions

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 6th May 2015, 08:45 AM
Friend

Hi, David. I have a 35mm condenser for another Durst that is a single lens. I think it's called a Sivocon, or Siriocon. I don't see a problem using the 6x6 set as long as it is the correct one for your enlarger. You can check for even illumination with the 50mm lens on and an empty carrier. I use an exposure meter to measure the corners and centre of the frame, but you can usually see if the corners are darker than the centre. On some Dursts , with the opal lamps, you can move the lamp holder up and down to adjust illumination on the baseboard. I think some of the bigger Durst condensers are also single lenses. I can check mine later, but perhaps someone with an M670 will have a clear answer.
Alex
Old 6th May 2015, 05:09 PM
Friend

Thanks all.
On closer inspection it does not appear to have any fixtures to house a 'top' lens. Just a convex lens over the 35mm rectangular aperture.
Now, I understand why the lamp can move up and down!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies