Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd June 2015, 12:32 PM
Friend

Default Boots extends range of Ilford film

I have just been into my local Boots, I needed a roll of Color film, and I see that they are stocking an extended range of Ilford film, as well as HP5+ 35mm, of which they seem to have more in stock, and XP2, they now stock HP5+ in 120 and FP4+ in 35mm, I haven't seen any 120 film there for a number of years, expensive from them I know, but with the current buy one get second half price not to bad, I bought 6 rolls, 3 35mm and 3 120. for £31, so not to bad
Richard
Old 3rd June 2015, 01:08 PM
Friend

There has been two threads on this on another forum. The news has been welcomed as it should be but I wonder about Boots long-term commitment to film.

OK for those who just buy the odd or maybe two films for holidays but then don't bother for most of the rest of the time but it is expensive that way and unless those casual buyers spread their holidays over the whole year, I suspect Boots will lose interest.

I hope my pessimism is misplaced

Mike
Old 3rd June 2015, 01:20 PM
Friend

Boots has sold film as long as I can remember, and over here is the only place to buy film of any sort, so if I run short I have no choice, so long may they continue, I think that if people buy the film it will continue to carry it, and in my Local branch the amount of film has increased, so from it must be selling, whatever, for now it is a good news story for film users
Richard
Old 3rd June 2015, 01:57 PM
Friend

I'm glad Boots has decided that there is still enough interest in the film market to extend their range, but I'm unsure whether their choices of stocking further Ilford products was wise - unless they offer a black and white processing service as well.

It's likely that a customer who buys some Ilford film from Boots may well return to the same branch to get their films processed. As far as I'm aware, most branches don't offer a B&W processing service on site, so the films would have to be sent out, a possibly expensive service.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking them for selling more film, I totally support it! Unfortunately, I too share Mike's pessimism and I hope I'm wrong.
Old 3rd June 2015, 02:09 PM
Friend

isn't 7 day shop based on Jersey ?
Old 3rd June 2015, 02:22 PM
Friend

I've just had colour film processed at Boots, and the service was good with a reasonable price. I will certainly use them again. I also noted that they had several types of film in stock including FP4, HP5 and XP2.
Alex
Old 3rd June 2015, 02:38 PM
Friend

I suspect the holga revolution is driving this (and kids anti computer revolution too).

I know a an Ofsted Inpector who did an inspection of a creche at a major US Software company HQ in the UK. She said it had fanstastic facilities and would have had a top rating except that there were no computers for the children.

Now I think that given this is a software company that the bosses and staff know a damn site better than Ofsted whether their 3 year olds should be plugged into a computer as soon as they emerge from the womb.

Is it any wonder that teenagers want to experience analogue photography when all they've been spoon fed their whole lives is software driven equipment where they are just an operator and not the person making the real choices.
Old 3rd June 2015, 02:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
isn't 7 day shop based on Jersey ?
Never was Jersey, it used to be in Guernsey,but is now based in the UK, I believe, they moved when the rules on VAT were changed by the UK goverment, as did all of the other fullfillment companies,
Richard
Old 3rd June 2015, 07:12 PM
Friend

I would just add that to keep anyone resembling a photographer going to Boots requires that they do not increase prices disproportionally when there is a manufacturer's increase.

My fears are that the "buy-one, get one half price" will not be a permanent feature and when sales do not warrant the space provided, Boots simply increase the price to close to a distress purchase level knowing that they will always maintain some sales from the those who need the film straight-away such as the holiday maker

My local Boots have always maintained colour neg sales( Fuji Superia only) but at what I'd regard as a distress purchase price.

Mike
Old 3rd June 2015, 08:20 PM
Friend

To give Boots their due the buy one get second half price has been there for a very long time, a few years now, it seems to have become an almost permanant feature, I have bought film at Boots over the years at odd times, if I needed a couple of rolls of color,or I was running short of b/w and my order was delayed and it has always been buy one get second half price, yes, it is more expensive than mail order, and I will always get mail order, but if I need aan odd roll or two it is handy, and prices at boots have remained stable for a long time, also, they remove the vat element here, something that Jessops, when they were here, failed to do.
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies