Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th June 2010, 08:48 AM
Friend

Default Storing paper along the Summer...

...yes, now that summer is on, and sure is hot down here, maybe not so much up north, I am asking about on how you store precious old fiber photographic paper!
I have a few packets of not manufactured anymore Agfa and Kodak paper, out of date, of course, but still alive and in perfect order...
Should I keep it in a fridge?... or even frozen?... I have a garage in the building cellar where temperature is around 18/20Celcius all around the year, even summer... will that be suitable to displace the paper and keep it there?...

And all this because right now in the room I have for lab and keep the in regular paper the temperatures round about 26c, and can reach 30c on peek hot days...
Old 15th June 2010, 05:10 PM
Friend

You will probably be OK with the cellar, Raul. So long as you don't let it sit around for years. I you're going to leave it for longer leavi it in the fridge. If you freeze it, it's best done with unopened packets so there is no moisture present. Let it thaw for at least 24 hours before using it, though.

Old paper is precious - treat it with care! (I have an unopened box of Agfa Record Rapid in my freezer to cheer myself up one rainy day!)

Rob
Old 15th June 2010, 06:29 PM
Friend

I would agree with Rob, the celler is probably as good a place as any,as long as it is not for long term storage,as in years, My own darkroom is around 21 to9 24 at the moment, but has been warmer, and I store paper in there,without any noticabele effects,Richard
Old 16th June 2010, 06:20 AM
Friend

I keep mine in the cool celler in summer and the cold attic in winter. Shift it twice a year.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:02 PM
Friend

Thank you all for the advice...
And no, I don’t plan to keep that paper stored for long, so I will avoid the freezing for now...
And I’m glad the cellar is a good storing place, lots of room there, and less in the fridge!

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies