Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th December 2012, 11:59 AM
Friend

Default Will 2013 have as many dull days as 2012.

If you live in the UK you will not have failed to notice how dull the weather was in 2012. I have heard all the blurb about the jet stream being pushed further south because of the warmer climate in the Arctic. Do you believe the scientists that the UK is in for a long period of wet winters and dull summers? What is the best colour film for giving saturated colours? I used to use Kodak UC (ultra colour) but this is no longer available and I don't always want to use velvia. May I take this opportunity to wish everyone all the best for Christmas and lets hope for some good light in 2013.
Old 20th December 2012, 02:35 PM
Friend

I'd love a recommendation for a colour sheet film (neg or reversal) that doesn't cost a fortune and is still available - I too am a bit fed up of photographing things with a 3-5 stop range in B&W which is what this year's been like!
Old 20th December 2012, 03:52 PM
Friend

When was the last time we had a prolonged heatwave in August? 1995 I think.
For me the summer has become the darkroom season when I do not need heating and I can listen to the rain beating down on the garage roof!

Les
Old 20th December 2012, 06:02 PM
Friend

I predict that the summer of 2013 cannot be worse than 2012 - a pretty safe prediction, you may say

There used to be a character in the Daily Express in the 50s and early 60s( not guilty M'lud, it was my parents who bought it) who without fail would predict a glorious summer to come sometime in late March and a Dickensian winter sometime in early October every year based on the behaviour of the bees, mice, local pub barmaid etc .

Once in a while he was right such as winter 1962/63

Bog standard Fuji Superia is a good all round warm colour neg. It may not be entirely accurate but it is what people want to believe summer colours and skin complexions were like in those far off days when it was always sunny in summer and horse drawn coaches always got through 10 ft snow drifts in winter, to be met by Falstaffian landlords and rosy cheeked children singing carols.

Mike( his memories by courtesy of Xmas card MAD men who do for reality what the Boston Strangler did for door to door salesmen)
Old 20th December 2012, 06:51 PM
Friend

norm what you need to do is get a set of night vision goggles and tape them to the front of your camera ..
my slow speed film of choice for summer is Kodak tri-x and an umbrella

and merry christmas to you and all on fadu
Old 20th December 2012, 07:07 PM
Friend

Sorry my crystal ball is away for re-polishing and anti reflection coating. Call back next year
Old 20th December 2012, 07:16 PM
Friend

Tis been a lovely year weather-wise up here. Bright too. Awful at the moment and the ferries have stopped too.

Having said that, it will get worse and more unpredictable with the continuing man-enhanced climate change that we seem to be unable/unwilling to address.
Happy Christmas :-)
Old 20th December 2012, 07:19 PM
Friend

OMG I'm going to slit my wrists it's raining
Old 21st December 2012, 09:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I predict that the summer of 2013 cannot be worse than 2012 - a pretty safe prediction, you may say

There used to be a character in the Daily Express in the 50s and early 60s( not guilty M'lud, it was my parents who bought it) who without fail would predict a glorious summer to come sometime in late March and a Dickensian winter sometime in early October every year based on the behaviour of the bees, mice, local pub barmaid etc .

Once in a while he was right such as winter 1962/63

Bog standard Fuji Superia is a good all round warm colour neg. It may not be entirely accurate but it is what people want to believe summer colours and skin complexions were like in those far off days when it was always sunny in summer and horse drawn coaches always got through 10 ft snow drifts in winter, to be met by Falstaffian landlords and rosy cheeked children singing carols.

Mike( his memories by courtesy of Xmas card MAD men who do for reality what the Boston Strangler did for door to door salesmen)
Was that man in the Daily Express called Bill Foggitt or am I confusing him with an amatuer weather forecaster who was on Yorkshire TV about the same time as Jake Thackray ?
Old 21st December 2012, 09:52 PM
Friend

I can't recall his name Norm but I think it was faintly comical and rustic. If anyone here were to say it I am sure I'd know if that was it.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies