Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th March 2017, 12:18 PM
Friend

Well done, Ian. I had use of a proper studio for a brief period last year, and really enjoyed it. It opens up a whole new photographic experience.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5th March 2017, 01:14 PM
Friend

Good to hear it all went well Ian.

Terry S
Old 5th March 2017, 05:30 PM
Friend

On a similar subject I would welcome any advice. We have been asked to take photos of our local choral society in their rehearsal rooms. Lighting is very even but quite low so a reading of EV 9 is almost everywhere. Other members of our club are using digital & a speed of 3200. I cannot make my mind up whether to use medium format with Tri-X at 1600 iso or a Leica 35mm with the Ilford 3200 film at 1600 which appears to be its true speed. No tripod but a monopod is OK. My final outcome will be monochrome darkroom prints if worthwhile. Longest lens on MF 6x6 is 150 & on 35mm 90. but the 35mm lens are much faster than the MF ones.
Old 5th March 2017, 06:53 PM
Friend

Personally I would use the Ilford delta 3200, in MF, AFIK they sell 120 3200,and 120 would give a bit of edge on quality,
Richard
Old 6th March 2017, 03:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
What do we let ourselves in for ?

Just been asked if I would take on a little project for one of the ladies at work.

She works on a ladies fashion department and wants to put together a portfolio of ladies wedding outfits to take with her when she goes to wedding fairs, also a slide show for a laptop at the same event.

So will be a combined analogue and digital adventure, would like to try classic black and white film (Foma 100 for a different feel) alongside digital colour

All shots will be taken indoors in a "white box" (its a fake display window 8ft wide 4ft deep and 8ft high and painted matt white) with various backdrops, supplied by the display department.

My question is about lighting the set up, where do you start ? I have a couple of 160 led photo lights, with diffusers if needed, that I use for my table top work, but I fear they will be lost on a set up like this.

This any good ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1350W-Cont...8AAOSwux5YV5IC

All advice most welcome, look forward to reading your replies.

Ian
If we were geographically closer to each other I have the full studio setup, 3 studio strobes, 2 constant lights, stands, backdrops etc. All cheap imports but very good consistent light and solid. I get to use a large white room at work. We could have bartered or something. I have next to zero knowledge of working in a darkroom so an hour or two instruction would have more than paid.
Old 7th March 2017, 09:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Personally I would use the Ilford delta 3200, in MF, AFIK they sell 120 3200,and 120 would give a bit of edge on quality,
Richard
Thank you Richard.
Old 7th March 2017, 10:34 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymgandy View Post
On a similar subject I would welcome any advice. We have been asked to take photos of our local choral society in their rehearsal rooms. Lighting is very even but quite low so a reading of EV 9 is almost everywhere. Other members of our club are using digital & a speed of 3200. I cannot make my mind up whether to use medium format with Tri-X at 1600 iso or a Leica 35mm with the Ilford 3200 film at 1600 which appears to be its true speed. No tripod but a monopod is OK. My final outcome will be monochrome darkroom prints if worthwhile. Longest lens on MF 6x6 is 150 & on 35mm 90. but the 35mm lens are much faster than the MF ones.
A few years ago I did a project photographing working life on farms. Light levels were quite low inside barns and lambing sheds. I experimented with Delta 3200 rated at 1200 and HP5 pushed to 1200. I much preferred the HP5. It had a lovely tonality, developed in ID11 stock solution, as recomended by Ilford, and was far less grainy than the Delta 3200.

Regarding your question of 35mm or 120, why don't you try both and see how things pan out?

Alan
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies