Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th April 2017, 04:24 PM
Friend

Default colour to B/W

is there any places that can make a set of B/W negatives from colour negatives ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 12th April 2017, 04:47 PM
Friend

There's never been a method of doing this.

The only practical way would be high end scanning in colour, conversion to B&W and then output back to B&W film.

Salgado shoots digital then has B&W film negatives made for conventional B&W darkroom prints.

Ian
Old 12th April 2017, 08:49 PM
Friend

This man can make b&w negatives from colour transparencies:

http://www.johnsalimphotographic.co....e.html#copyneg

Not much help in your case though. I suppose you could copy the negatives with b&w transparency film... maybe not
Old 12th April 2017, 10:12 PM
Friend

lostlabours thanks for your help I will try later to find a company that can do what you have suggested.. and Edmund thanks I have sent them a email it cost nowt to ask ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 12th April 2017, 11:42 PM
Friend

If obtaining B&W negs from C41 negs is to preserve the longevity of what is there then my suggestion is useless but presuming you intend to make B&W prints from the B&W negs obtained from the C41 negs in case such C41 negs fade, then I have had reasonable success making B&W prints from quite old C41 negs. In fact so old were the C41 negs (1970s) that I doubt if I could have made RA4 prints from them that were as good as the B&W prints.

I have no evidence I can point to but I strongly suspect that today's
C41 negs have a much greater life than 1970s C41 negs.

Best of luck

Mike
Old 13th April 2017, 11:10 AM
Friend

The lab EdmundH posted the link to has a Film recorder (so can write digital images to film), and they offer film scanning, so they can actually do exactly what you want.

It can't be done optically due to the C41 negative masking.

Ian
Old 13th April 2017, 03:51 PM
Friend

The original way to get colour negatives onto B&W paper was to use Panalure paper.

Well the simplest route is to print the colour negatives onto normal B&W paper. The times will be much longer than normal and you will (generally) need the harder grades. The tonality will be different from those you are used to from B&W negatives but if you really need to do it B&W prints from colour negatives are possible.

The next route is to make an internegative and reversal process the film.

Also, there is the old method used by many (such as when the bride suddenly decided she wanted a colour image to be printed in B&W) which is to make a colour print larger than the final B&W print that you want and simply copy it using B&W film.

Nowadays, the best quality will be achieved by having a high-end scan made, correcting the file and using a film recorder to create the negatives. There are plenty of professional labs who should be able to do this but it wont be cheap!

Best of luck,

David.
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de

Last edited by dsallen; 13th April 2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 15th April 2017, 03:49 PM
Friend

somebody wanted to buy some 12x16inch prints I had taken on colour film but wanted them in black and white and he preferred darkroom prints also I don't have the knowledge or the gear to do them digitally, but if the negatives were black and white it would have been easy just to go into my darkroom and print them up ,there's me thinking all you have to do is copy the colour negs with black and white positive film and hay presto I have my black and white negatives .Oh well back to the drawing board ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 15th April 2017, 04:36 PM
Friend

It might depend on how good that somebody is at looking at a B&W print from a colour neg and being able to discern that some of the tones aren't quite right. Without wishing to cast aspersions, if that somebody is not a B&W aficionado but desires just to get the effect of B&W then I'd be surprised if that person is not reasonably pleased with the result.

My prints from a 1970s colour neg were people-type scenes and I was reasonably pleased with the result.

I'd give it a shot at say 5x7 or 8x10 and show the somebody the result. If the print is not acceptable to the person then not a lot has been lost.

As I think others have said you might need grade 4-5 but even here people have quite a large range of preferred contrasts.

I feel that all is not lost

Mike
Old 15th April 2017, 06:52 PM
Friend

There's a second option I know Bob Carnie in Toronto used a Lambda machine to output onto Ortho film and also B&W FB paper.

You could contact Metro Print as they have a machine here in the UK. Essentially Lanbda machines use lasers to print onto RA-4 paper or Ilford Galerie Digital which are conventional silver based papers withn higher speed emulsions optimised for this use. Bob uses his for film and conventional B&W papers (before Ilford released their Digital B&W papers), I've seen it in his Toronto Gallery/Darkroom in the basement.

If you can get high end negative scans convert them as you want to B&W and tweak, then either a lab like Metro or actually Ilford's own lab can do your B&W prints for you.

Mike and I saw the quality the Ilford lab process on a factory tour a few years ago, it's superb. I think this is your best option.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies