Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd April 2019, 04:31 PM
longhouselife

Thumbs down MW Classic Cameras

I don't know how many folks here know this company (MW Classic Cameras) or whether you have used them in the past..?

My experience has been Extremely Poor however.

I enquired earlier this year about a camera for sale on their site and heard nothing at all from them. Then recently I paid for three filters to fit a Summitar lens, the money was taken from my account and I received a confirmation email. three weeks later I still have not received my goods; i have zero response from them via email. I contacted them again via Paypal as this is how I'd paid, still nothing..! I have now escalated this matter through PayPal for a Full Refund.

Having then done some digging on TrustPilot - there are no end of very poor reviews from folks having had the same experience.

As a warning to anyone here - This is a company to stay well clear of in my experience.
Old 22nd April 2019, 05:33 PM
Friend

I have bought off them a few times. A nice TTH lens for a TP reflex, an Aldis for a Ensign (Houghton) roll film reflex.

Later I bought a Reisekamaera from them a (German or sometimes French) tailboard camera. I saw it on line a mice 13x18cm camera at a very reasonable price, so I rang to order it, one of the partners had sold it without updating or telling the other but I was offered a 24x18 Reisekamera for the same price.

When it arrived overall it looked in really nice cosmetic condition especially the bellows, however it had a major issue with the baseboard. Reisekameras use a clever tongue and groove system to allow the cameras to fold up and then be set up in two different positions, one for shorter focal length lenses the other far greater extension for close up work and longer lenses, Part of the tongue was missing from one piece, and a corresponding part of the groove it slotted into was also gone.

It was quite a major/critical issue that wasn't pointed out,and I had every right to return it and claim my return postage costs back. However in this case it didn't concern me I'd had a bargain, I had mahogany of the exact width to repair the tongue part and realised I could easily repair the other broken section. It's made me wary.

I used to recommend the company but after a member of other Forums (maybe here as well) had issues with a lens/shutter I spotted and reading numerous other comments I stopped months ago.

Perhaps like MrCad it's better to visit, go see the goods and haggle before buying, or very vigorous questioning on the phone, I've never managed to order online

Ian
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:17 PM
Friend

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing saga but I must say I had a positive experience about 2 years ago. I bought a near mint hasselblad cf fle distagon 50mm f4. Payment and delivery went smoothly.

My feeling is that their stock is generally priced to sell quickly. They are also very active on the auction site. It's a shame when sellers don't communicate.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950

Last edited by MartyNL; 22nd April 2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:31 PM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Perhaps like MrCad it's better to visit, go see the goods and haggle before buying, ...
Ian
All well and good when you don't live off the west coast of Scotland..!

I have though had absolutely exemplary service and satisfaction from Ffords in Beauly.

MWCC were quick enough to update their website by taking off the exact filters I had ordered - but not replying to a paying customer just says to me 'can't be bothered..!'
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:43 PM
Friend

If it is the same company I hear of several years ago, you are indeed treading on shaky ground. I did not know it was still in business because the owner was reputed to be seriously ill.

I stand corrected, I checked the name given and it is not the same company, the one I was thinking of was somewhere around the south coast.

Last edited by John King; 22nd April 2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:02 PM
Friend

John,
Are you thinking of 'Rocky Cameras'?
He has such a shocking reputation it almost makes me want to buy something from him just to see how true it is.
Old 23rd April 2019, 07:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhouselife View Post
All well and good when you don't live off the west coast of Scotland..!

I have though had absolutely exemplary service and satisfaction from Ffords in Beauly.

MWCC were quick enough to update their website by taking off the exact filters I had ordered - but not replying to a paying customer just says to me 'can't be bothered..!'
You missed out the last part of my comment "Perhaps like MrCad it's better to visit, go see the goods and haggle before buying, or very vigorous questioning on the phone,"

I rarely go to London so rely on accurate descriptions online, but would now ask additional questions when needed.

I always found Robert White 100% accurate and trustworthy and bought a few LF lenses mail order ( that was before the company was sold).

Ian
Old 23rd April 2019, 07:17 AM
Friend

I have bought from them a 4 years ago, not the greatedt results, cameras not as described, also not as pictured on their site, Agfa Ambi Sillette described as late model, mint- working perfectly when it got here, a week late, it was an early model and although all shutter speeds working fine the film wind lever spring was either broken or detached so I had to push it back to rest, but not to bad, I can live with it, then I bought a Werra pictured and described as late high top werramatic, mint- working perfectly, and a Zorki body with body cap, working perfectly, when they got to me, again a week late, the Werra was an early flat top, not a weramatic but a 4, body not in greatest condition and all slower speeds not working, and the Zorki all shutter speeds lazy second curtain, plus I paid for special delivery and they sent them by standard parcel.I tend to buy and use classic cameras and apart from these couple of purchases I always use Collectable Cameras, always accurate you order via a phone call and Simon will always tell you everything good or bad, and if a problem does arrise upon delivery he has always sorted the problem out, and never waited nore than a day for my goods

Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 23rd April 2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I always use Collectable Cameras, always accurate you order via a phone call and Simon will always tell you everything good or bad, and if a problem does arrise upon delivery he has always sorted the problem out, and never waited nore than a day for my goods

Richard
I've bought quite a few things off Simon, best is a Praktina FX with a 58mm f2 Biotar, the camera body itself has been engraved with a number but that was mentioned on his website (I actually bought it at a Camera Fair).

The prices on Collectable Cameras website are very reasonable, Simon prices items to sell, like Richard has said before he's highly recommended.

Ian
Old 23rd April 2019, 01:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
John,
Are you thinking of 'Rocky Cameras'?
He has such a shocking reputation it almost makes me want to buy something from him just to see how true it is.
Rocky Cameras are now on www.etsy.com

Bob
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies