Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th May 2011, 11:33 AM
Friend

Default Multigrade dev

Yesterday I spent unproductive afternoon and evening printing blank pages of fotopaper.

Why? It turns out that I have a duff batch of Ilford multigrade developer (batch number 49D011 for your reference) which was optained from silverprint earlier this year.

I made up a new batch of developer especialy for this print run finishing an old bottle and starting the new. Usually the print starts to appear about 10 sec's in I did not see any thing for near on 2 minutes. I thought old dev was duff so made up a new batch completely from new. Wrong on Print at all. So made another batch up think stop may have damaged the new solution. still no print.

After switching to plan B a warm tone dev which is slower developing I had a wonderfully toned print.

I was starting to think I was in a dream and I had lost all knowlege of printing.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 27th May 2011, 01:08 PM
Friend

It is always disappointing when a chemical totally fails as your MG dev seems to have done. My commiserations.

I take it that you have informed both Silverprint and Ilford. Both will take great pride in supplying good products and will want to investigate. Especially Ilford as there may be a bigger batch at fault which Ilford needs and deserves to know about.

While its chems are not produced at Mobberley it will be equally keen to ensure that anything with the Ilford name is 100%

Mike
Old 27th May 2011, 03:48 PM
Friend

As Mike says get in touch with Silverprint and Harman as they will be keen to investigate the problem.
Old 28th May 2011, 12:10 PM
Friend

I will let them know. The only reason I have not done so so far is I think I'm still in a bit of shock and the need to process the pictures I had ear marked to do. I would have been put out even more If they had been FB final prints.

Thanks for your support.

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 28th May 2011, 01:34 PM
Friend

From what we see on another price increase, Ilford can ill afford to distribute faulty products. Quality is still its "Ace in the hole".

Ilford ... ill afford. Like it? Sorry, couldn't resist it

Mike
Old 28th May 2011, 01:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
As Mike says get in touch with Silverprint and Harman as they will be keen to investigate the problem.
Whilst it is Silverprint's responsibility to supply good product, contacting Harman as well is a good idea in case they need to recall any stock.

Steve.
Old 28th May 2011, 02:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
From what we see on another price increase, Ilford can ill afford to distribute faulty products. Quality is still its "Ace in the hole".

Ilford ... ill afford. Like it? Sorry, couldn't resist it

Mike

Old 2nd June 2011, 12:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Yesterday I spent unproductive afternoon and evening printing blank pages of fotopaper.

Why? It turns out that I have a duff batch of Ilford multigrade developer (batch number 49D011 for your reference) which was optained from silverprint earlier this year.

I made up a new batch of developer especialy for this print run finishing an old bottle and starting the new. Usually the print starts to appear about 10 sec's in I did not see any thing for near on 2 minutes. I thought old dev was duff so made up a new batch completely from new. Wrong on Print at all. So made another batch up think stop may have damaged the new solution. still no print.

After switching to plan B a warm tone dev which is slower developing I had a wonderfully toned print.

I was starting to think I was in a dream and I had lost all knowlege of printing.
After a chat with the other half and a test I did earlier today it turn out that it was a made up developer that had been poured back into an Ilford bottle for re-use with out the bottle being marked so.

I would like to apologize to Silverprint and Ilford. I have no excuse for sloppie methods in the darkroom. This will not happen again

Old 2nd June 2011, 12:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
After a chat with the other half and a test I did earlier today it turn out that it was a made up developer that had been poured back into an Ilford bottle for re-use with out the bottle being marked so.

I would like to apologize to Silverprint and Ilford. I have no excuse for sloppie methods in the darkroom. This will not happen again
Thanks for letting us know Mitch. I'm sure many of us have done something similar.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies