Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th June 2020, 03:39 PM
Friend

Default Kodak D76 out of date question

Hi
I have just found an unopened sachet of D76 developer dated 1/19 would this still be usable, as I don't want to lose the 2 35mm films I want to develop.
I have an alternative developer but it would be a shame to throw the whole bag away.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
TG
Old 5th June 2020, 03:57 PM
Friend

Kodak have a habit of putting use by dates on everything, Ilford say that in their unmixed state powder developers will keep indefinitely, and as ID11 is essentially the same formula and powder developers, according to Ilford, keep pretty much forever, until mixed for use, you shpuld be fine using D76,
Richard
Old 5th June 2020, 04:30 PM
Friend

Just have a quick check to make sure that there are no holes/splits in the pack. Unless subject to a lot of stress or sharp objects there shouldn't be any. If there is clearly no way for air to have gotten in then as far as I know Richard's point about Ilford's stance on its powder developers should apply equally to Kodak's

Mike
Old 5th June 2020, 04:35 PM
Friend

OK that's good news, the bag is air tight so I'll try it out in the coming weeks
Thanks for your replies.
TG
Old 5th June 2020, 05:19 PM
Friend

Hello TG. I was given and have used packets of D76 from the 1980s and they have all worked perfectly. The only ones I have discarded have been those with holes in the pouch that have let air in and oxidized the contents. You will know when this happens as all the powder will turn brown. The other telltale is brown stains on the outside of the pouch where powder has leaked from a pinhole and oxidized. If either of these affect your packet then it's best to toss it. But if the powder is still nice and pale (slightly off-white) then you're good to go.

BTW, the brown colour will also tell you if your mixed stock solution has oxidized. If it turns brown, then dump it. Keep it in full bottles with no air and it lasts a long time.

Hope this helps...
Old 5th June 2020, 05:54 PM
Friend

I have a tin of D76 and I'm undecided whether I'm going to use the stuff or not. Definitely not on something important.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 5th June 2020, 06:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
BTW, the brown colour will also tell you if your mixed stock solution has oxidized.
Or possibly if you packet is from the new Afghanistan factory??

Mike
Old 5th June 2020, 06:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
I have a tin of D76 and I'm undecided whether I'm going to use the stuff or not. Definitely not on something important.
Marty, if you open it and the powder is still white, then why not use it? Do a clip test to confirm before you throw a whole roll in there. I just recently used a very old package (1980's maybe?...old foil pouch) of D76 that dropped a lot of white sediment in the stock bottles. Clip test worked great, so I went ahead and used it. All films turned out perfectly -- nice punchy negs. The 1 gallon of stock lasted well over a year until I used it all up, and none of it went off (stored in 1/2L bottles). FYI, I decanted the stock slowly to leave the sediment in the bottom...all good.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies