Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th October 2014, 12:22 PM
Friend

Default Selenium toner stains

Does anyone know how to, or even if it's possible, to remove the reddish stains in parts of the print when selenium toned. It's happened to about six out of a hundred I've done recently, the rest of the image is how I want it, better D-Max but there is a stain that is irregular and doesn't follow the tones in the picture . This is on FB papers.
I know the alleged causes of this, inadequate fixing and washing but am very particular about those things, I use a wash aid and wash thoroughly too, not being on metered water no excuse not to.
Old 17th October 2014, 03:13 PM
Friend

You can't remove it, stains are caused when there's colloidal silver (semi-soluble) left in the paper because of inefficient fixing.

If the silver level of your fixer rises too high then the equilibrium reactions don't go to completion leaving traces of silver salts in the emulsion and sometimes the paper base. The selenium replaces the silver leaving the red stain.

Two bath fixing is the best option.

Ian
Old 18th October 2014, 07:37 AM
Friend

By the end of yesterday's session of toning I tried redoing those prints affected, leaving then in the toner until the whole print had taken on an even reddish colour. A not unpleasant effect on most and funnily enough I was planning some copper-red toning in the near future anyway.
Old 18th October 2014, 08:51 AM
Friend

The darkroom has read your mind Funny how it does that.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 18th October 2014, 04:27 PM
Friend

you should test your process by putting a drop of neat selenium on white border after fix and wash but before toning.
Leave for a few minutes and then wash off.
If there is any reddish staining then your fix/wash procedures are not adequate.

AND

if you are doing a batch of prints then you may want to do this test every nth print which will show you when you fixer is no good.

Last edited by Argentum; 18th October 2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 24th October 2014, 01:28 AM
New User

Try fixing in a non harding fixer for 3 minutes and store in a water bath, when finished with the printing, fix for more 2minutes in fresh non harding fixer then into the selenium toner and then into a perma wash bath for 2 minutes and then wash for 30 to 45 minutes
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies