Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th December 2016, 08:06 PM
Friend

Default Warm-tone developer

I know these are best used with warmtone paper, but will it have any noticable effect if it used with normal multigrade? The reason I ask is I am giving colour printing a break for the time being and printing B&W instead. However I only have warmtone multigrade developer. (I had forgotten about it in the dark depths of my cupboard).
Old 8th December 2016, 08:28 PM
Friend

Warmtone developer will work fine with normal MG papers, you may get very slight colour changes at different grades but probably not really noticeable.

Ian
Old 8th December 2016, 09:09 PM
Friend

Thanks for that, I was just wondering if there would be a colour change even with normal B&W paper.
Old 8th December 2016, 11:48 PM
Friend

John, depending on how long and how many B&W sheets you will make during your B&W sojourn it might make sense to buy some Champion MG developer( much cheaper than Ilford MG developer) and keep your WT developer for WT paper unless you want to use up the WT developer before there is any chance of the end of its shelf life for what will be a short diversion to B&W.

I recall getting a 1L container of WT developer at the 2006 Ilford tour but using it on normal MG paper. As others have said it worked fine but with little or no change to colour for normal paper.

Mike
Old 9th December 2016, 08:59 AM
Friend

Default Ilford MG Warmtone

Actually this Warmtone was given to me by a friend's wife after her husband had unfortunately passed away. His wife was clearing out and I benefitted from some kit and chemicals from his well used darkroom. I wouldn't have bought any, simply because I don't use warmtone paper. I just have these two x 1 ltr bottles which I have had for about 2 years - unopened.
I did open one last night and it looks perfectly fine and clear with no discolouration. (Both bottles have the same batch number.)
Old 9th December 2016, 11:43 AM
Friend

I use Warm tone developer with normal tone papers a lot of the time I like the hint of warmth it brings to the final image. It is difficult to see how much warmer it is unless you place a photography that has not been developed in this way with the warm one.
As your normal developer losses strength it also starts to add a subtle warmth to the picture.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 9th December 2016, 01:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
As your normal developer losses strength it also starts to add a subtle warmth to the picture.
This is due to bromide build up, the more prints developed the higher the bromide content and the weaker the developer.

Ian
Old 9th December 2016, 09:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I use Warm tone developer with normal tone papers a lot of the time I like the hint of warmth it brings to the final image. It is difficult to see how much warmer it is unless you place a photography that has not been developed in this way with the warm one.
The only print developer I use these days is ID-78 which I mix myself and with modern papers any warmth that it imparts is very subtle indeed. (Actually I use potassium carbonate instead of sodium carbonate which is supposed to make it warmer, but even so prints have to be side by side to see the very slight difference).
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies