Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th August 2017, 05:31 PM
Friend

Default B&B in the West Highlands

I'm thinking of grabbing a few days in the Gairloch area of the west highlands in October and was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent B&B/guest house in the general area?
Old 16th August 2017, 07:04 PM
Friend

I stopped not far away a few years ago, wasn't a B&B rather a small Hotel (well really a pub/restaurant with rooms) but a similar price. i'll see if I can find the details.

B&B's in Scotland arein a different league to England I've stayed in a lot for work, all briiliant

Ian
Old 16th August 2017, 07:59 PM
Friend

I am looking at the Inchnadamph Hotel near Loch Assynt for a weeks stay next year. It looks fine judging by their website pictures. It's not that expensive nor far from where you want to go. If you google Inchnadamph hotel you will see what there is. They do a 3 course evening meal with 4 choices, or bar meals.

It looks as if it is in the middle 'MAMBA' country - miles and miles of bu**er all. I think they cater for the out door visitor.

Last edited by John King; 16th August 2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 16th August 2017, 08:14 PM
Friend

Mamba - haha! Most of Scotland fits that description. (I can say that cos I'm Scottish). Looks OK, John. I'll have a good look at it.

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Old 16th August 2017, 08:54 PM
Friend

I worked there as a student. There was a B&B that was recommended by everyone, but I can't recall the details. That was over 30 years ago, so it may have changed hands! I had a look on TripAdvisor. There seem to be quite a few with good reviews. The hotels, including The Old Inn where I worked, don't score so highly. It's a beautiful part of the country, and well worth a visit. There's a small museum in the village that has a nice restaurant. Jack Bruce of Cream stayed nearby at Badachro. Sting came up to see him when I was there. I never saw either of them, but I suppose they spent their time talking about bass playing. The Big Sand campsite is very good, but only if you're interested in camping. Your post has reminded me of the summer I spent working there, and a later visit with my wife just before we were married. I would be interested to hear how you get on, especially if you're there for photography.
Alex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 16th August 2017, 09:17 PM
Friend

My better half, who is taking early retirement in October, believes it's for a "nice wee break" but I'll be filling the boot with cameras so there's a big clue, Alex. If I get anything worth showing I'll post them on my blog. I was last in the Gairloch area about 30 years ago, too, when I had a caravanette in my early 20s. I doubt that much will have changed. We have three wee bichon frise dogs which are very tying so we can't get anywhere further afield at the moment. It doesn't bother me but Cath would prefer to be going somewhere hot and sunny. I'm a bit wary about the prospect of being enriched by an unexpected multi-cultural moment at a tourist hot-spot overseas. Fortunately, I can't see many terrorists wanting to blow up a field in the Highlands in October.

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Old 16th August 2017, 10:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
That was over 30 years ago, so it may have changed hands!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
30 years ago, wow! That's so long ago that Para Handy was still Duncan Macrae then and Andy Stewart was looking for the Cockbridge to Tomintoul road in 12 ft snow drifts every Hogmanay.

Other tales of far-off "lost youth" welcome

Mike
Old 17th August 2017, 06:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
It's not that expensive nor far from where you want to go. If you google Inchnadamph hotel you will see what there is.
Sorry to disappoint, but the Inchnadamph Hotel is a good 2 hour drive from Gairloch.

By October, there should be a lot less tourists on the NC500, so hotel/B&B spaces should be much easier to find.

There is a large hotel in Gairloch itself, though I've never needed to use it since i live locally.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies