Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th June 2009, 05:55 PM
Friend

Default Back to business

I've been really quiet on here of late... and if anyone is interested I thought I would tell you why.

My son, Josh has returned from uni and announced he would like to join the old man in business. I had been working towards partial retirement from professional photography, trying to get back to what stirred me in the first place, but it looks like I won't be able to do that for a while now.

We have formed a new company, bought a whole load of digi gear and Macs and found some premises. So I have been dragged, kicking and screaming away from the darkside. Sorry to be so disloyal but I am going to have to put something back in the savings from this vast expense so I am selling off my darkroom and a load of film gear. I will post a PDF in the for sale section in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime have a look at my wedding site and click the meet the team tab to see the whippersnapper.

www.steventaylorphotography.co.uk
Steven
Old 4th June 2009, 07:24 PM
Friend

Never mind the equipment - that's nice stuff you've been shooting.

Oh ... you have a Wether typo on your front page.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:41 PM
Friend

Thanks Sandeha
All that money and all that education and still can't spell.
Steven
Old 5th June 2009, 10:04 AM
Friend

Funnily enough I was just thinking you hadn't been around for a bit! I wish you and Josh the best of luck in your new venture. The web site looks great .

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 5th June 2009, 04:29 PM
Friend

Yes, a very appealing site - Good luck!
Old 5th June 2009, 04:40 PM
Friend

All the best with the new business venture - it looks great with some excellent shots. Make sure you make a quick exit ASAP though and let the young blood do his own thing I was once nearly retired at 57 but it took me anthother six years to pull it off

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 5th June 2009, 07:54 PM
Friend

Thanks for your good wishes and kind words. Neil, what do you mean by a quick exit? My medicaly trained wife keeps asking to take my blood pressure...are you all trying to tell me something?
Steven
Old 6th June 2009, 08:53 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Taylor View Post
Thanks for your good wishes and kind words. Neil, what do you mean by a quick exit? My medicaly trained wife keeps asking to take my blood pressure...are you all trying to tell me something?
Steven

Errr, just quitting work that is

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 6th June 2009, 07:34 PM
Friend

Steven,

What made you decide to go completely over to digital for commercial work? Scott Sheppard's programme 'Inside Analog Photo' gives several examples of photographers either using an analogue dominant or hybrid workflow for commercial or wedding type work.

www.insideanalogphoto.com

Tom.
Old 7th June 2009, 08:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
Steven,

What made you decide to go completely over to digital for commercial work? Scott Sheppard's programme 'Inside Analog Photo' gives several examples of photographers either using an analogue dominant or hybrid workflow for commercial or wedding type work.

www.insideanalogphoto.com

Tom.
If I went with my heart I would shoot on Tri X, dev in Rodinal and hand print on Ilford FB, and I have looked at it very seriously. My conclusion was that to do it that way and make the profit we need we would have to charge around £5,000 per wedding and we would still need to get around 30 weddings a year. Pure economics.

We should not turn this into a digi v analouge debate as that is against forum policy. If you want to come back on this Tom please PM me and we can continue in private.
Steven
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies