Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th November 2012, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Default How To: upload attachments to posts.

This is not always obvious to people new to these kinds of forums so I thought I'd post a short introduction to uploading attachments with your posts.

First, you need to go to the "Advanced" post editor by either clicking on the "Post Reply", "Quote" or "Go Advanced" button (or start a new thread):
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buttons.png
Views:	384
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1623

Underneath where you enter text in the editor you will see a "Manage Attachments" button:

Name:	ManageBtn7.png
Views:	374
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1624

Clicking this button opens the Manage Attachments window where you can add one or more files to upload:

Name:	UploadBrowser.png
Views:	404
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1625

Once added using the "Browse" button, clicking the "Upload" button will copy the files from your PC to the forum.

When a file has been uploaded it will be listed further down the Manage Attachments window and you may now close this window (you can also see the maximum file sizes allowed at the bottom of the window):

Name:	UploadBrowser2.png
Views:	377
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1626

Likewise, if you preview the post and realise you have uploaded the wrong file or otherwise want to delete an attachment before saving the post, open the Manage Attachments window where you can delete the file(s) you have uploaded.

By default, all attachments are simply added to the bottom of the post, but as you can see from this post, there is another option to place them in-line. This is achieved by using the paper-clip symbol in the icon bar above the text input box:

Name:	paperclip.png
Views:	375
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1627

The selected attachment will be inserted into the text editor where the cursor is currently located using ATTACH tags that look like this:

[ATACH]1628[/ATACH]

(n.b. I had to deliberately misspelt "ATTACH" in order to make the text visible).

If you want to link to an image already on the web, you can use the "Insert Image" icon on the icon bar - hover your mouse pointer over the icons and you will get text of what they are for.

I think that is about it. One final suggestion I would make if you are creating your own image files from scans or screenshots etc is that you save the final file for uploading in PNG format. PNG has the advantage of being compressed like a JPEG but, being a lossless process, does not have the jpeg compression artefacts and loss of sharpness etc. The same applies to Gallery or Album images: PNG is by far the better option over JPEG.

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited by Bob; 19th November 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 19th November 2012, 06:34 PM
Friend

Thanks for that, I was wondering how to upload PDF's, I can now upload some of the manuals I have.
Old 20th November 2012, 05:02 AM
Friend

Thanks for the instructions Bob they are very helpful.
Regards
Richard
Old 20th November 2012, 05:43 PM
Friend

Thanks, Bob, this is very useful. There is usually a long time between my up-loads so when I get at it, I've forgotten (my good old memory) how I did it last time.
And ++ the thing about PNG! was not aware of that
Peter
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies