Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th July 2017, 09:56 AM
Friend

Question Yorkshire Question.

My wife and I would like to visit Yorkshire sometime next year, but not yet sure where to stay yet or places and locations to visit.

Any suggestions are welcome. We will probably book a holiday cottage and spend a week there.
Old 25th July 2017, 10:19 AM
Friend

I'd go for the Pickering area. N Yorks Moors railway and the coast at Whitby is close. York itself is within reasonable distance as well. You have the city, river, railway and Yorvik museums. A good park and ride system operates. Once in the centre of York everything is within walking distance.

Mike
Old 25th July 2017, 11:32 AM
Friend

I've had a couple of good holidays in the Pickering area that Mike suggests, and can recommend it. There are lots of options for things to see and do, and Pickering itself is a nice town. Two things I really enjoyed were Castle Howard, and the ruined Abbeys. The aircraft museum at Elvington is also very good. There is quite a bit of military history in the area, if that is of interest. I'd better leave it to the Yorkshire team to give you detailed suggestions! Local knowledge should point you to the best photographic locations. Whichever part of the area you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Alex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 25th July 2017, 12:29 PM
Friend

Keith, if Alan Clark doesn't spot this message and chime in, you might send him a PM. He lives in the area and surely can provide a local's advice.

Enjoy the trip!
Old 25th July 2017, 05:26 PM
Friend

Keith,
As I am sure you know, Yorkshire is a very big place so you need to choose your location carefully. A lot depends on your priorities, but if you really like coastal locations the North Yorkshire coastline has wonderful photographic opportunities. Whitby, once described by a friend when I took him there for the first time as "a theme park invented for photographers" would be a good base. From there you can easily get down the coast to Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington and the chalk sea cliffs at Bempton. Or up the coast to Skinningrove and Paddy's Hole at Teesmouth; both great places if you like old fishermens' huts, old boats and a bit of dereliction. Whitby does get very busy, in fact it is always busy! So if you prefer somewhere quieter to stay you could look for a cottage in nearby Staithes or Robin Hood's Bay, both small and very picturesque fishing villages.
You are soon into the North York Moors from the Whitby area, giving you lots of landscape opportunities. If you are especially interested in the moors, Tony Miller or myself could give you a lot more information. Tony has an excellent B&B, by the way, near Pickering.
Pickering is also a good base, as others have said, with York, Castle Howard, Nunnington Hall, Helmaley Castle, and several picturesque ruined abbeys nearby. Pickering is at the southern edge of the North York Moors, and Whitby and Scarborough are only 20 miles away, so the coast is handy from Pickering. The Yorkshire Wolds are also near Pickering, a fascinating area of dry chalk valleys. And from Pickering you can easily get over to the Yorkshire Dales for a day.
It's a long trip from Pickering to the limestone areas round Ingleborough, as these are a long way over to the west. But a cottage at Hawes, a lovely market town in Wenslydale would make most of the Yorkshire Dales, and the western limestone area, very accessible.

Alan
Old 25th July 2017, 09:19 PM
Friend

hmm, when I go to Yorkshire, and I do actually live in it, I book a few nights at The Lion Inn on Blackey Ridge NY Moors.
Its bonza, the food is great, its a pub and its in the middle of nowhere but only a short drive from the east coast.
I think you need to narrow down a little the types of places that would most interest you, Yorkshire is the biggest county in the UK, its massive, you can't even scratch the surface in a week.
Old 26th July 2017, 09:45 AM
Friend

Keith ,me and the wife went there years ago as a day trip from Lancashire and it is a beautiful place ,and if you get the time pop down to the tea plantation help pick the leaves and sample there great Yorkshire tea .
Old 26th July 2017, 07:02 PM
Friend

I prefer the landscapes of Yorkshire Dales rather than the North York Moors.

I would suggest getting somewhere to stay in either Richmond or Reeth.

As for things to look at - the Dales themselves - Swaledale is just fabulous.

The limestone pavements around Ingleborough are unique.

And of course the world famous Settle to Carlisle railway.

As Ansel Adams is quoted as saying - the question is choosing where to point your camera.

Martin
Old 26th July 2017, 10:04 PM
Friend

It is an amazing county. Lots to see and learn. Many years ago my then 10 year old son learned a valuable lesson at the re-enactment of the Seige of Ripley Castle near Harrogate.

According to the narrator there were Scots involved. This may have had no historical basis in fact but have been thrown in for comic relief. When he mentioned Scots, two characters with red hair and in in kilts, each carrying a nearly empty bottle of whisky and clearly "the worse for wear" started to "haver"( as per The Proclaimers record) and cavort before the crowd with claymores.

When they had finished and wandered off, my son asked: "What was that all about, Dad"?

I replied: "That, son, was all about racial stereotyping"

Mike
Old 27th July 2017, 09:19 AM
Friend

Keith,

Yorkshire is a very beautiful place and it has everything for the photographer, so you can't really go wrong. But as others have advised it is big so try to focus on what you want to do subject wise and take it from there.

You don't say how long you are going for but if a week I would go to somewhere where the type of subject/s you are looking for are plentiful. If you have say two weeks or longer you could say do one week on the coast and the other inland.

Whatever you decide you are certain to have a good time, so take plenty of film

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies