Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th October 2019, 12:40 PM
Friend

Question Old Camera body - cleaning

I’ve recently acquired an Agfa Isolette 1 which seems in good mechanical condition, bellows look in good condition and I’m currently running a roll of HP5 through it. All seems good.

The body could do with a little bit of a clean however, and I’m wondering, given the age of this thing, whether there are any modern cleaners to avoid or if indeed there are any recommended best practices.

The wife suggested baby wipes but I caused an international incident by suggesting the good folk on FADU will know better than she . My son in law thought I was brave (and ran out of the room), my daughter simply said I was mad. Anyway enough of the domestic digression.
Old 8th October 2019, 12:59 PM
Friend

Dave I would listen to her in doors ,and after you have had a bit of humble pie I would use wet wipes and then when you have finished wipe it over with a damp cloth …

www.essexcockney.com
Old 8th October 2019, 01:38 PM
Friend

I would be looking for the unscented variety of wipes, if you can find any. The smell of the normal ones is not very pleasant.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 8th October 2019, 01:53 PM
Friend

I have very many old cameras, in fact that is pretty much all I use, and for any which need a good clean I use unscented wet wipes, so you owe your wife a huge apoligie, at least a very large bunch of flowers and a large slice of humble pie and follow her advice. also if the bellows are good on your issolette then you will be a very lucky man, for some reason Agfa seemed to us a cheap and not very good material, even with their bellows made from leather they are the only folders I have ever come across that always seem to have corner pinholes, and if they do then black accrilic artists paint is your best friend, may take a few coats but I have madde a few Agfa bellows light tight with it
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 8th October 2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 8th October 2019, 02:09 PM
Banned

I use baby wipes for many things they are superb
Old 8th October 2019, 02:28 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Dave, You should have learned by now, Happy Wife Quiet Life. Best bet is to agree with her and ask her to show you how to use them. By the time you have grasped their intricate usage she will have done the job for you! ��

Bill
Old 8th October 2019, 02:33 PM
Friend

LOL! I’m in the supermarket buying flowers as we speak!

Bill - you know her too well. Apart from the falling for the “show me” trick that is - she fell for it once cleaning PPC silverware but not since
Old 9th October 2019, 01:14 PM
Friend

Default !!!important message!!!

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

Just remember everyone that ANY type of 'wet-wipes' should NOT, repeat NOT, be flushed down the loo!!!

It seems like the obvious place to put them, but the various loos that I visit on my voluntary work, as well as programmes on the telly, say it's a big NO! NO!

So into the general bin for them.

Terry S
Old 9th October 2019, 09:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
!!!IMPORTANT!!!

Just remember everyone that ANY type of 'wet-wipes' should NOT, repeat NOT, be flushed down the loo!!!

It seems like the obvious place to put them, but the various loos that I visit on my voluntary work, as well as programmes on the telly, say it's a big NO! NO!

So into the general bin for them.

Terry S
Absolutely, and with the number of nappies I change every week (grandsons, my kids are all adults) I put a lot into landfill every week
Old 9th October 2019, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Wetwipes do not degrade and contain a lot of plastic fibre. Apparently, they are a major component of fat-bergs you get in the sewers - they are what helps bind the fat together. Even worse, they may block your drain and that is expensive if you need to call an expert out!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies