Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th January 2020, 09:08 AM
Friend

the 6x4.5 back for my Bronica SQ outfit is for 220 film and I use it with 120. It rolls onto the take-up spool a bit tighter sometimes but that's not a problem for rollfilm and not as tight as some films I've used in the past such as ORWO. Just keep winding and firing after exposure number twelve until you feel it go slack.
Old 28th January 2020, 11:53 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
Seems to work fine, though needs quite some experience doing everything in the dark.
I have just looked up what the difference was between 220 and 120 film, as I didn't know. So, here for others who don't know either :

https://thedarkroom.com/film-formats/220-film/

https://www.outsidetheshot.com/120-vs-220-film/

But PanFrank, why would one have to have experience in the dark? It's said to have a normal leader and end backing paper, so one would only have to do what is done with a 120 film surely?

Terry S
Old 29th January 2020, 01:34 PM
Friend

PanFrank Do you know where the rolls of film are being sold?
Have you done any sums to see if it is worth saving my old 120 backing papers for reloading?

Cheers.
Old 29th January 2020, 05:49 PM
Friend

One of the German gurus of the darkroom, Uwe Pilz, has a contact in CZ, who sells a roll of 25m of Foma film for 70 EUR, about 60 GBP. 25m make for 30 rolls 120 > 2 GBP per roll. Those with Hasselblad A24 backs immediately joined in, because you do not need all the backpaper and the rolling up is even easier, as they say. Yes, you need the spools & the backing paper.
Here Uwe's manual in German & English: http://piu58.bplaced.net/fotoweb/auf...ngRollfilm.pdf .
Quite possibly I may also try it out, because I also still have an A24.
Frank
Old 30th January 2020, 12:28 PM
Friend

Hi, on this topic I can say:
I am one of the users of the roll. This is new since October last year. It is a circle of about 20 people and the work of a brave, willing "Dark Seaman".
Rewinding from a large roll of film to approximately 25 m parts on reels (making 3D printing) including inserting a thin paper tape is done by hand and it's quite challenging.
Then I do the winding on the reel myself and it is not complicated. But it takes some practice.

I use the Rolleiflex SL66, where it can easily switch from 120 to 220 and it works pretty well. Moreover, this camera can find the beginning of the film itself, which is an advantage.

But this is a path that many photographers will not use. It is also a problem to obtain a roll film from the manufacturer in length. Therefore, the future of this solution is not anchored.
Old 2nd February 2020, 06:34 PM
Friend

I'll add information :
Fomapan 100 is now available and Fomapan 200 is in talks with Foma.
For F200, Foma has developed an improved emulsion and is now completing the selection of a suitable carrier film.
A colleague who winds up and distributes 25m film reels offers to ship to the UK if he is interested. In order to maintain an interesting price, it would be necessary to find a suitable method of transport from the Czech Republic.

The film has no marks, numbers or film type markings, it is a clear film.
Along with the sent reel, your developer exhaustion test strip and fixer test are also included.

And my question and request for information:
does anyone have the knowledge or the ability to obtain a strip of this film directly from the manufacturer - Ilford, such as HP5 +? Reportedly it is possible to buy a certain amount (30m) once in a while.
If it were possible to get this, but even more, it would be great information.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:03 PM
Friend

Well I am happy to say my Bronica ETRSi 220 film back works fine with 120 film. I loaded my 220 film back with 120 film and took it out on Wednesday and have just developed 15 (and a half) negatives.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
Well I am happy to say my Bronica ETRSi 220 film back works fine with 120 film. I loaded my 220 film back with 120 film and took it out on Wednesday and have just developed 15 (and a half) negatives.

That’s interesting, David. I bought a 220 SQa back to use some of its parts repairing a 120 back. I haven’t taken it apart yet, so may just run a film through it. It’s in better condition than the one I’m trying to repair b
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 28th February 2020, 05:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
That’s interesting, David. I bought a 220 SQa back to use some of its parts repairing a 120 back. I haven’t taken it apart yet, so may just run a film through it. It’s in better condition than the one I’m trying to repair b
Alex

The gaps between the negatives are all fine as well. Worth putting a roll through your back to see how it goes.

David
Old 28th February 2020, 06:04 PM
Friend

Thanks David. I will give it a go.
Alex

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies