Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th November 2012, 06:56 PM
Friend

Default are your prints ever likely to be worth anything?

given that the following iconic ( to some ) print LOT 1092 only sold for EUR 12,600 I rekon its fairly unlikely.

https://www.westlicht-auction.com/in...set=9&_ssl=off

interesting to look through all of the lots and see what sold and what didn't. Even one Adams print starting EUR 15,000 didn't sell. And Cindy Sherman prints which have sold for millions for only a few thousand. There is no rhyme or reason to it as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Argentum; 26th November 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:53 PM
Friend

you call that money I wouldn't get out of bed for that money ....

could somebody turn me I am getting bed sores
Old 27th November 2012, 07:03 AM
Friend

I'm not surprised it sold for (to some!) such a paltry price. It's a re-print from the 70's and hasn't probably been anywhere near HCB, which counts for a lot.
I was at ParisPhoto a couple of weeks ago and one thing I noticed was how galleries, having probably sold off most of the 'really' original iconic works, are trolling the back catalogue prints (and negatives) of famous photographers and trying to create a market for them.
More a question of the 'name' rather than the quality of the photograph.

Tony
Old 27th November 2012, 10:10 AM
Friend

In one quick answer - Nope!
Old 27th November 2012, 10:43 AM
Friend

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
I'm not surprised it sold for (to some!) such a paltry price. It's a re-print from the 70's and hasn't probably been anywhere near HCB, which counts for a lot.
I was at ParisPhoto a couple of weeks ago and one thing I noticed was how galleries, having probably sold off most of the 'really' original iconic works, are trolling the back catalogue prints (and negatives) of famous photographers and trying to create a market for them.
Agree Tony, though I'd be happy enough for a print of mine to go for that amount.. some chance!

http://graemestarkphotography.blogspot.com/
Old 27th November 2012, 05:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
yes but it has his studio stamp on it and 40 odd years before his death so under his control. I don't think he printed much himself at all. I think it just merely reflects the collectable value of photography in the long term. It seems that only a tiny number of living photographers with the right connections can make extreme amounts of money. Once they've turned their toes up £500 to £1500 is the going rate for the majority of known photographers. There's little hope for the living landscape photographer to make any serious money. That doesn't mean you can't make a few bob out of it but it does mean you need to manage your expectations realistically at below what you would like.
It's all about marketing if you want to make money from your photography. Those that have the marketing skills can make a few quid from it and those that don't won't. And of course you need a bit of talent too otherwise your work is unsaleable ( like I see a lot of in my local open gallery)
Old 27th November 2012, 07:44 PM
Friend

for my work hope springs eternal.
For the rest, there are many factors, in Sherman's case being overvalued beyond measure.

just my opinion
Old 27th November 2012, 09:46 PM
Friend

Default Money

I do hope that my photographs have some sentimental value to my family. Nowadays I only take photographs for my own pleasure. If I had to take photographs to sell it would ruin my pleasure.
Old 28th November 2012, 06:19 PM
Friend

as an answer to your question - are your prints ever likely to be worth anything? - I came across a quote today from a letter written by poet Marianne Moore to T.S.Eliot which sums up my thoughts well:
“I am sure it is true there is not money in poetry for anybody and to say that I dislike the thought of being a loss to a publisher is far more than a mere understatement. . . . The writing in itself pays one or something is wrong with it . . .”

Tony
Old 29th November 2012, 12:12 AM
Friend

"are your prints ever likely to be worth anything?"

perhaps when I'm dead they'll take on some form of increased value to an amazingly small number of people.........right now I'm just an old timer still using a darkroom.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies