Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd March 2019, 09:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansm View Post
I prefer the mechanical types over the electronic controlled ones.

I couldn't agree more Hans. I picked up a mint 501CM from a quality dealer in the Netherlands but they don't come cheap.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 23rd March 2019, 06:17 PM
Friend

I’m cleaning up my so-called man cave and came across some stuff to sell.
Like my 35mm Nikon set, I didn’t use it for more then a year.
Time to sell. This might create some cash.
Old 25th March 2019, 06:12 PM
Friend

Afternoon, Hans.
I have a couple of Mamiya C330S bodies. A while back I toyed with trading my kit for a Hasselblad 500CM. The 'Blad is beautifully made, and very quiet. In conversation with the salesman at Ffordes he mentioned the fact that 'Blad bodies are fairly complex. Seems they can be prone to shutter jams which are usually fixable, but can need a repair technician. My Mamiyas have never been a days trouble, and I elected to stay with them as they do everything I need reliably and without fuss.
If I was doing portrait work I might still have been tempted, but my images are a mix of landscape and stil life. Reflex viewing isn't a big deal for me.
I had been tempted by the 'Blads reputation for great lenses, but I seldom print bigger than 12x12. In reality,the Mamiya lenses are better than what I ask of them.
I'd ask just what you were going to be shooting, under what conditions, and just how much I wanted to spend on the whole package- not just camera, but backs, lenses etc.
However, cameras are very personal things- you'll know when you're holding the right one in your hands. Good luck finding what you want.
Old 25th March 2019, 06:23 PM
Friend

I have a Minolta small format, a TLR in medium format and by now even a large format camera, which I confess is the biggest fun to operate. But I cannot imagine anything better than my Hasselblad set for all kinds of purposes. Compared with other medium format cameras for changeable lenses the Hasselblad is rather small and light. I can wholehartedly recommend it, but would look out for one in a good shape, preferably 501CM or 503CW. You will certainly enjoy it from the first moment in your hands.
Frank
Old 25th March 2019, 07:52 PM
Friend

Thanks all.
First I will sell my 35 mm set because I barely used it last year. Cannot remember when last time.
This will free some extra cash that I can spend on a medium format with interchangeable lenses. The cord I will keep because of its weight and charm.
The Hasselblad is very tempting :-)
Old 27th March 2019, 08:22 AM
Friend

Default A Mechanical Hassy

A Hasselblad is one camera I have never used but when they were still being made in the form of the 500c they were out of the depth of even the furthest reaches of my wallet. But I still would have liked one.

I suppose owning one then and now is a bit like owning a Rolex watch, there are cheaper versions of the same device but it is a pleasure to own and use one.

Precise, accurate and apparently they rarely fail unless very well used or miss-used after a hard life. If I was in the market for one it would be a 'C' version. Although spare parts are becoming rare, get a good one (and there are a few about) as an amateur you will have a tool for life. The lenses for the C range are now 'affordable' and optically beyond reproach.

The Achilles heel is the weight with lenses which is why I will reluctantly remain with 35mm. (Apart from my Minolta Autocord.)
Old 29th July 2019, 04:55 PM
Friend

My venerable 500C soldiers on, along with its 80mmm Planar. Used it today for the first time since January and the roll of Fomapan 100 is currently hanging in the shower - and looking good
Flickr Site
Old 29th July 2019, 06:32 PM
Friend

I'm fortunate to have a 500c and a 503cx with lenses from 40mm to 250mm and will be buried with them.

Like many of us, when i first got interested in photography, Hasselblads were way out of my pocket money range and were the domain of the very wealthy or corporate users.

They are lovely cameras and i've not regretted buying one in the 20 years i've been using them.

Like Keith, i've just dev'd 4 rolls of FP4 and they're in the drying cabinet....and looking good!

Mike
Old 30th July 2019, 08:00 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
I had been tempted by the 'Blads reputation for great lenses, but I seldom print bigger than 12x12. In reality,the Mamiya lenses are better than what I ask of them.
After fifty years of handling them, and a factory visit, I still think Hasselblads are the greatest. But beware the early 50mm Distagon in Compur - corner sharpness is disgraceful for the price (the later design with a floating element is in Prontor).
The body is complex, because of the built-in interlocks, but following the instructions on mounting lenses, and whether cocked, will avoid problems. The Mamiya is quieter and the lenses are at least as good.
Old 30th July 2019, 09:26 AM
Friend

For me I ended up with Hasselblad for 2 inter-related reasons:
1) I wanted to try the SWC to get a proper wide angle that could be hand held, instantly fell in love with the camera and what I get from it.
2) I found I really didn't get on with typical 6x6 medium focal lengths, I then noted that a lot of my favourites from 35mm were 50mm shots cropped onto 10x8. This is almost identical in view terms to 100mm on 6x6 but with the excess top and bottom cropped off rather than the sides. So I bought a 500cm that just happened to have a 100mm CT* on it and again fell in love due to finally having a medium focal length that fits how I see things in that medium range.

I guess the moral of my story is the single most important reason for buying into blad shouldn't be about anything to do with the brand reputation, but because the sheer breadth and depth of their products. If like me there is particular focal lengths you want to try or niches in the medium formal system camera world, then nobody has more high quality options in that system world than Hasselblad.

One last point. It just so happens I love the haptics of the older lenses and the way the system forces one to work in EVs, it just makes sense.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies