Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th December 2019, 03:14 PM
Friend

Default Rolleicord va film counter.

I have just received a Rollei COSUF format changing kit for my Rolleicord va.

It is an assortment of masks for the viewfinder, film plane and eye level sports finder. Also included is a replacement film counter, 0-16 frames instead of the standard 0-12.

I failed to find any information on the web about fitting the counter.
After about half an hour of fiddling and puzzling I hit on the answer

So this is for anyone else that is going to struggle in the future.

There is no need to remove the case/strap bracket as the counter frame is cut away underneath the bracket. If you do remove the two screws for some reason, keep the screws in their original positions as they are slightly different in the thread diameter.

Open the back of the camera fully.
Unscrew the knurled screw in the centre of the counter and the whole thing will lift up and away from the strap bracket.

Now the thing that had me going around in circles...… You must have the back open to insert the replacement frame counter.
There is a chrome plunger on the case that moves outwards when the back is opened. This movement moves the meshing gear and stop arm out of the way and allows the new counter to slip into place with no trouble at all.

1, Back open.
2, The gears are now well out of the meshing position.
3, Slip in the new counter.
4, Check all round to see that the counter frame is properly seated.
5, Tighten the centre knurled nut.

I hope this makes sense to anyone who has puzzled this before.

p.s. I tried to add a couple of pictures but they didn't work so I took them away.

Cheers.

Last edited by Nat Polton; 19th December 2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 19th December 2019, 07:34 PM
Friend

Default Some Pictures Hopefully.

Pictures of theRolleicord va changeable film counter.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...1&d=1576783883

Have a close look at the photo with the back closed. The arm with the lug on the end and the gear wheel are much closer to the centre screw hole on the middle of the aperture. They get in the way when trying to fit the other counter disc.
With the back open they move out of the way and allow the gears to fit in and eventually mesh happily with each other.

With all my faffing to get pictures on here you can probably understand why I prefer film to digital.
My digital snaps were to large in memory size, so I retook them on "postcard/email format."

Cheers .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROLLEI COSUF  SET.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	3581   Click image for larger version

Name:	front and back of counter mechanism.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	3582   Click image for larger version

Name:	back closed.JPG
Views:	520
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	3583   Click image for larger version

Name:	back open.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	3584  

Last edited by Nat Polton; 19th December 2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 20th December 2019, 08:18 AM
Friend

Nat,

Many thanks for taking the time to post this very useful imforation. I am sure your post will be a good resource for Rolleicord VA users, or would be Rolleicord VA users.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th December 2019, 03:15 PM
Friend

Useful post Nat and I echo Neil's sentiments. My only concern is: How easy will it be for a VA user to find your thread in the future?

I am no "great shakes" with a computer but I don't find the search engine that efficient on the forum especially now that our FADU content is really growing.

I wonder what the best way is to make kind of info easily accessible?

Mike
Old 20th December 2019, 03:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Useful post Nat and I echo Neil's sentiments. My only concern is: How easy will it be for a VA user to find your thread in the future?

I wonder what the best way is to make kind of info easily accessible?

Mike
Just checking out 'Links' in the top line menu at the top of the page, I found under it, when 'clicked', an 'Equipment Repair Items' folder. Putting it in there might make it easier to find later on in the future...?

Terry S
Old 20th December 2019, 09:11 PM
Friend

I thought the title would take a searcher straight to the article, but I was wrong. I tried earlier on and nothing.

Hopefully one of the moderators can shift this to a more appropriate place. No crudities please.
Cheers Gents.
Old 20th December 2019, 10:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
I thought the title would take a searcher straight to the article, but I was wrong. I tried earlier on and nothing.

Hopefully one of the moderators can shift this to a more appropriate place. No crudities please.
Cheers Gents.
Nat you might want to do what Terry suggests. Short of a better suggestion from a moderator this at least gets it placed in what seems to be an easier folder to reach.

I have tried to find one of my own past threads and the search engine seems to give me either nothing or every thread that contains even one word that is in my search question.

Mike
Old 21st December 2019, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Just searching for COSUF finds the thread.

It is usually best to select the "Show Posts" option rather than "Show Threads" to make things easier to find.

If you want to find all the words in a search, include the word AND between each word:

e.g.
Quote:
COSUF AND rollei
finds just this one thread, whereas:
Quote:
COSUF OR rollei
finds posts with either word in it.

Likewise, enclosing the search in double-quote marks will find only that string - e.g.:
Quote:
"terry suggests"
finds three posts with that exact phrase in it (including this thread).

Also note that upper/lower case is ignored - it does not care if you type COSUF or cosuf, or even CoSuF...

Hopefully the google search-bot will find the thread soon and it will be found if someone searches google for it.

Happy searching

Last edited by Bob; 21st December 2019 at 06:29 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies