Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th May 2020, 07:46 PM
Friend

I fully agree about a Monopod, I always use one with the ETRSi, and with a couple of very solid 35mm SLR's I have,makes life much easier when holding a heavy camera up to my eye,
Richard
Old 5th May 2020, 07:53 PM
Friend

I have the Bronica SQa and there is/was an accessory battery holder made.
I have never had trouble with battery dying from the cold, but the problem was recognised by the manufacturers enough to warrant the accessory. The battery is removed from the base of the camera and fitted into a holder that sits inside a small pouch. The pouch is then kept in an inside, warm pocket of your clothing. Leading from the battery pouch is a flexible wire that terminates in a dummy battery with contacts on each end. This is placed into the battery socket in the base of the camera.
So the battery is protected from the cold.
I never invested in the accessory as the most Arctic conditions I ever achieved was the top of Ben Nevis and a few Lake district peaks in winter. and I never had any trouble with a cold flat battery.
I assumed it was for serious Polar expedition stuff, when you had to get your camera serviced with extra thin oil to stop the mechanisms from freezing.
Old 6th May 2020, 08:30 AM
Friend

The standard set for the Bronica, 80mm lens and standard look down view finder is the lightest combination as soon as you change from this the weight go's up.

I have always shot from the hip so to speak from the fist day of purchased it to present times my camera has been all over the place. No matter what configuration I use by the end of the day my arms feel like lead weights. but the joy of the images made pales against the discomfort of the time.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 6th May 2020, 08:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
The standard set for the Bronica, 80mm lens and standard look down view finder is the lightest combination as soon as you change from this the weight go's up.

I have always shot from the hip so to speak from the fist day of purchased it to present times my camera has been all over the place. No matter what configuration I use by the end of the day my arms feel like lead weights. but the joy of the images made pales against the discomfort of the time.

Thanks for that, I’m usually very good when it comes to selecting gear to take out on a shoot, I have learned from previous expeditions with my 35mm cameras, you start adding additional lenses, tripod, dinky tripod it gets heavy very quickly! Now it’s a case of if I haven’t got it, I have to adapt! I think the Bronica is going to be the one I go for. 😁

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 6th May 2020, 08:55 AM
Friend

Wait until you get started on 5x4 or bigger ,but you should have built up your muscle up by then ..
Old 6th May 2020, 08:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
Wait until you get started on 5x4 or bigger ,but you should have built up your muscle up by then ..

😂 ooooh! Now there’s a thought! 😈

Old 6th May 2020, 08:40 PM
Friend

A tripod is the sharpest lens you will ever own.

Landscapes with a MF quickly lead you down the tripod route.

Martin
Old 6th May 2020, 08:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
A tripod is the sharpest lens you will ever own.

Landscapes with a MF quickly lead you down the tripod route.

Martin

I have a good manfrotto tripod 😁

Old 7th May 2020, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Yes, it's amazing how much extra weight one more mm adds to the RB67 . The SQ is an altogether more svelte beastie. If it does not come with an eye-level finder, you will need to get used to the WLF - some find it helps with photographing people as it seems less intrusive to the subject.
Old 7th May 2020, 08:14 AM
Friend

You will also need to get used to the look down view finder as right is left and left right. It took time to get used to. When ever I went out with that set up the half used to say see you next week

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies