Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd May 2016, 04:18 PM
Friend

Default Nikon SLRs and lenses (requesting help)

Hello Everyone,

I need the help of the good people of FADU. I'd like to buy a Nikon body and preferably a wide angle lens (say 28 or wider).

Here is a short list of bodies: F2, FM2n and FM3A.

I'm not interested bodies that can't operate without batteries.

Since F2 is the cheapest (did a search on the sold listings of eb&y) and seems to be lot more flexible than the other two, I'm leaning towards that one. I also like the fact that it's body parts are lot easier to find and cheaper. On the other hand, I can see why FM2n and FM3A are good alternatives since they are more modern. Thus more refined (hopefully).

Also I'm really confused with AI, no-AI, AIS, CRC, G, FX, F, and other acronyms that are in various lenses.

There is a slight possibility that I may get an Otus/Milvus lens as a birthday gift in the near future. Do they work with F2, FM2n or FM3A? However, I don't want to pick an SLR body primarily because of the Milvus/Otus thingy.

Basically I want the the most flexible body that can take modern and as well the old SLR lenses. You can probably see I'm quite novice in the Nikon world. So, please treat me like a baby.

Bests,

Ashfaque
Old 2nd May 2016, 09:32 PM
Friend

Have a look at Ken Rockwell's site which will put you right on most things Nikon:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/fefm.htm

I have been using two Nikon FM2s for quite a few years now and I find them to be excellent performers and very reliable.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:46 PM
Friend

The FM3A is pretty much the Rolls Royce of Nikon manual bodies, and priced accordingly. The FM2n might be a more economical choice. But if you want maximum compatibility for old lenses (including pre-AI glass) then you want an FM or FE.
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:03 PM
Friend

All three cameras should be suitable. FM3s are normally quite expensive. A cheap F2 will most likely need a service. Examples that have been serviced and renovated usually command higher prices. The meters are also an area to check on the F2. I'm not sure how easy it is to get parts now for the metered prisms. The cameras you list will work with Ai and AiS lenses. They can probably also mount AF and AF-D lenses. G, FX, DX and S are all autofocus lenses moving into the digital age. They may work, but not to best effect on manual focus cameras. DX is the digital type for smaller sensors, so of no use. G lenses lack an aperture ring. You should look at the FE. It needs batteries, but has a great meter, and is often quite cheap. It's like an FM with aperture priority auto. The F3 is also good, but uses batteries.
Having said all that, my preference would be for a late model autofocus like the F100. It's very sturdy, can use almost all of the available lenses, auto or manual, and runs off AA batteries. On top of all that, you can get them for around £100, or less.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd May 2016, 06:31 AM
Friend

Buy a Nikon fe from a reputable dealer as the ebay prices are a bit high
I had a fe and they are great cameras, the fe2 is a goodun as well, I have a fm3a and think they are worth every penny
For lens get AI or AIS models
Paddy
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:05 AM
Friend

Thank you all for your advices and suggestions. So far, it seems FM2n will be the best option for me. I'll look into FE series cameras as well. (It could also be a 2nd body for colour slides, negatives as and when I start developing those myself.) But I'll do some reading before the final decision.

Personally, I'd like to avoid buying through ebay as the prices seems to be higher (probably due to PayPal and eBay fees, and seller's higher markup expectation).

Thanks again gents.
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:52 AM
Friend

Don't buy Nikon lens with "series E" on them
Paddy
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:07 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Don't buy Nikon lens with "series E" on them
Paddy
The 100mm /2.8 series E is excellent.
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:28 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
The 100mm /2.8 series E is excellent.

The 28mm and 35mm are also good, useable lenses. The 75-150mm Series E zoom apparently had a degree of 'cult' status when it was current, although I've never tried one myself. I agree about the 100mm which I have used.
Alex
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:37 AM
Friend

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../htmls/models/

Tags
cheap, fm2n, fm3a, nikon f2, nikon lens
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies