Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th August 2009, 12:29 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Default FB Papers.

This weekend I have been doing some printing mainly using RC paper. However I have squirrelled away a few sheets of 12" x 16" Agfa Record Rapid, Grades 2,3 and 4, probably less than 25 sheets in total. Although old it is still usable (just). Processed in Silverprint D163 it gives remarkable tonality and a good rich black.

For FB paper I have been using Kentmere Fineprint but somehow it just does not seem to have the same richness or look.

I have never tried any papers other than Ilford RCVC or their Kentmere equivalent, VC Select and for FB Fineprint.

What are the modern equivalents of Record Rapid in say Foma or perhaps the new Adox? Am I looking for the impossible? I was thinking of 8 x 10 and 12 x 16 sizes.

I intend to stock up on paper for winter printing before the price goes up intending to use Ilford RC and FB. Before I do I thought I would ask here as there are a number of people who use alternative papers.

Perhaps it is a case of buying a number of 10 sheet packs and just trying them out.

Looking forward to you helpful advise and comments.

Bill
Old 17th August 2009, 12:44 PM
Friend

Bill, Record Rapid was certainly a paper I used a lot when it was available. However I think today's VC papers are just as good if not better, in that they allow split grade printing which I feel is a tremendous asset.

Papers that are currently available and I feel equal RR and wouldn't hesitate to recommend are;

Ilford MGWT, glossy, FB
Foma Fomatone MG Classic, glossy, FB

These papers are capable of incredible richness.

If you insist on graded papers then you might like to try;

Ilford Galerie.
Adox Fine Print Nuance Warmtone (personally not tried this paper but many speak well of it).
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 17th August 2009, 01:12 PM
Friend

I also used RR and mourned its passing.

Mentioning this in a post recently, I was recommended the Adox Nuance as a good alternative and purchased 50 sheets of the 9.5x12 Grade 3 to try out. I will not have a chance to check it out till the Autumn when I hope to find the time to finish my darkroom. But the person who recommended it said it was the closest to RR they had used.

Neil
Old 17th August 2009, 02:25 PM
Friend

I still miss record rapid, but, like Trevor, I would suggest MGWT as a good paper, but I wouldsay that fomatone classic glossy is probably the nearest to Record Rapid, especialy if you use the harman warmtone devolper, for me it is a wonderfull combination.Richard
Old 17th August 2009, 02:45 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Thanks for the replies.

I have some warmtone Ilford but in the semi matt finish that I used for a course I did. I will give that another try.

I will also look at the Nuance and get a trial pack if possible although I am quite happy to use VC paper. As Trevor has said it is useful for split grade printing, something I have yet to master.

Bill
Old 17th August 2009, 06:44 PM
Friend

Nuance is lovely - and it Liths !
Old 21st August 2009, 07:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
....I intend to stock up on paper for winter printing before the price goes up intending to use Ilford RC and FB....
Bill
At Silverprint we're laying in as much extra stock as we can before the increase, but there's a limit to how much can be bulked up in August - maybe we could run a scheme where if orders are placed now, they could be delivered & charged in late September/early October at the pre-rise price? I'll ask John & Laura at work if that's doable, we're ruled by the computer now - can't even buy a bottle of milk without putting it through the system.
Old 21st August 2009, 07:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
At Silverprint we're laying in as much extra stock as we can before the increase, but there's a limit to how much can be bulked up in August - maybe we could run a scheme where if orders are placed now, they could be delivered & charged in late September/early October at the pre-rise price? I'll ask John & Laura at work if that's doable, we're ruled by the computer now - can't even buy a bottle of milk without putting it through the system.
Nice idea Martin, I'm up for it. I need to place an order for Ilford MGWT/FB, glossy, in 9.5x12 and 11x14.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 21st August 2009, 11:29 AM
Friend

Default Harman & the 'Last Chance Saloon'

Ok, we've done it - anyone can place an order now, specify delivery (& charging) up to the end of October and get the old prices. The details should be up on the front of the Silverprint website shortly.
Old 21st August 2009, 11:51 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
Ok, we've done it - anyone can place an order now, specify delivery (& charging) up to the end of October and get the old prices. The details should be up on the front of the Silverprint website shortly.
Good move, and I'm sure that will be appreciated.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies