Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd August 2012, 10:43 PM
Friend

Default Durst M605 neg carrier?

Hi,I'll be picking up a Durst M605 colour enlarger at the weekend that was going for a song,only problem is it has no negative carrier.I have a Vivitar
356 with carriers for 35mm and 6x7, but only use 6x6 and 645,so the negs aren't a perfect fit and the carriers are an odd design,so not so easy to make one. I'm hoping the Durst carrier would be a little more straight forward to make,I know the actual holder takes inserts for each size neg but I don't have any dimensions or pics for that matter. Any one here have one,could possibly measure it and provide a few pics?
Any help appreciated.
Old 5th August 2012, 02:13 AM
Friend

I may have sourced a neg holder on flebay, got the enlarger today,sadly, it's not working. I'm hoping it's just the lamp but am a bit confused, in the manual, http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/kpalin/D...605_Manual.pdf on page 8 it says the colour head's lamp is inserted from underneath via a holder. The holder is missing on mine but when I took the head off there is another bulb,I'm assuming this is for b+w and the missing bulb is for filtration? hopefully it's just the bulb that is blown. My vivitar has just one bulb,so I'm a little confused by this setup.
Old 5th August 2012, 06:32 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I have a Durst M605K.

The mention of inserting the bulb holder from below refers to the condenser black and white head as shown on the 3 images on the left of page 8. You can see that these have a plain front not the 3 filter dials nor the filtration adjustment knobs on the side of the head. The colour head is the image at the bottom right and that bulb is enclosed within the head as shown in the image on page 9 bottom left. Lift the head off the chassis (2 knurled screws under the negative stage) and underneath there is another knurled screw head. Unscrew that and lift off the plate and the lamp and holder will be there but I think you have already found this out. The holder is held in place by spring clips and is not the easiest to remove or replace. When you replace it make sure it is held parallel as it easily slips off on one side and skews offline.

As an aside there are a number of reasons the lamp may not be working in the colour head. The lamp holders are prone to getting corrosion inside as are the pins on the lamp. Clean both of those as best you can or replace the holder (available from Maplins). I would fit a new bulb anyway. The fuse in the transformer may be blown or the transformer itself have gone. They can be replaced with a transformer used for low voltage halogen lighting again from Maplins. The black and white head does not use a transformer but a 240v 150 w lamp similar to a conventional household bulb. The lamp holder for that is a dark red fitting about 1 1/2" diameter that does insert from the bottom with the lamp being inserted from above into the fitting.

The illumination for the filter settings is backlit from the main bulb so there is only one bulb in the head.

I have a number of negative masks, 35mm, 645 and 6x6 and will measure one up later today for you. I only use one mask as I use the anti newton glass in the top section as recommended by Barry Thornton.

Hope this is helpful and if you have more questions please ask.

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 5th August 2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 5th August 2012, 08:52 AM

Here is the information on the negative masks. The outside dimensions of all the masks is 64 mm wide x 75 mm long x 1.5 mm thick. The masks are chamfered 45 degrees along both long edges. The masks are painted black on all surfaces and edges.

There are 2 designations used by Durst.
SIX*** is for the lower mask and SIV*** for the upper.

For example the Lower 645 mask is labelled Durst Sixma 45 and the Upper mask Durst Sivoma 45.

The internal aperture dimensions of my masks are:
35 mm - SIX 23 x 35 and SIV 25 x 37
645 - SIX 39 x 55 and SIV 42 x 57
6 x 6 - SIX 55 x 55 and SIV 57 x 57. This latter figure is a guess as I bought my 6 x 6 masks S/H from Nova and they sent 2 SIX masks. They work fine though.

The holes in the masks are square cut.

The internal dimensions can be adjusted if you choose to make your own as you may wish to have an oversize mask so you can print with a black border round a full frame image. Be careful with the 6 x 6 if you decide to do this as there is not a lot of material left in the width.

As far as the bookform negative holder goes I think it would be difficult to make as it contains captive sliding pins to adjust for 35 mm or 120 film and sliding masking arms. Your auction route would be the best for this or of course you could try our sponsors Secondhand Darkroom Supplies and Nova as they may have one. I found by contacting Nova that they had items not listed on their site such as the 6 x 6 masks and the anti newton glass both of which I bought from them. At the time (about 20 years ago) I did not know of SDS.

Attached is an image of the masks I have.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neg masks.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1492  

Last edited by Bill; 5th August 2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 5th August 2012, 10:24 AM
Friend

Thanks Bill, very much appreciated,those inserts look manageable to make. I've no idea how I misread the section on the bulbs,it's as plain as the nose on my face You could be correct about the corrosion,this enlarger seems to have been in storage in a shed,I've already had to vasaline the seized focusing friction drives,their moving fine now.
Another question if I may,mine doesn't seem to have the two screws for removing the condenser,(I only got one) it came with a 50mm lens and Siriotub, I'm assuming it's set up for 50mm only,I can't see any markings to say it's the double condenser for the 80mm. For fear I've missed something in the manual I'll reread that section on removing it but I've had all the screw out around the head itself but to no avail. Thanks again for the info.
Tommy.
Old 5th August 2012, 12:55 PM

Glad to help Tommy.

There are no condensers in the colour head so no 2 screws to remove them. The light is directed into a chamber where it bounces around until it exits via a diffuser at the bottom just above the negative. On the right of the head is a horizontal travelling lever. You push it to the back for 6 x 6, marked Box 66 on mine and pull it forward to concentrate the light for 35 mm, marked Box 35. The only things you need to alter to change from 35 mm to 6 x 6 is to push the lever back and change the lens. For a 75 or 80 mm lens you will need a flat lens panel and as you have found this is changed by the single knurled screw on the RH side of the lens stage. Not sure why you got a condenser with the colour head.

In the manual totally ignore Section 3.2.0 to 3.2.3 Page 11, as it is for the black and white head only. As you have the colour head the section you need is 3.3.0 to 3.3.8 on pages 12 and 13. The only difference I can see is that on my enlarger head the supplementary filter is operated by a knob on the front not on the back as shown in 3.3.4. This was a later change and there is an additional loose sheet supplied with the original paper manual I have that has not been scanned in the copy you are looking at. It depends on the way yours is set up but it will give an indication if it is an early or later model. When this is engaged a flap opens to show a red light next to the dial again lit from overspill of the main light as is the indicator for the white light lever which on mine is between the cyan and magenta dials on the front. I don't think the earlier model had this indicator as again it is in the additional information sheet.

Bill
Old 5th August 2012, 04:27 PM
Friend

Ah,yet again my inability to read a manual is discovered It makes sense now Bill, i saw condensers in the manual and assumed that the box on mine was one, mine does have the switch for 35 and 66. You were spot on about the bulb,it was corroded badly,I'll change the holder too for safety sake. Well that's a relief Bill,I had feared,with all my assuming and bad reading of the manual,that I was stuck with a 50mm enlarger,I'll just need to get the neg holder,inserts and lens holder and I'm flying. thanks again for the help,very much appreciated.
Old 5th August 2012, 07:44 PM

No problem Tommy, glad to help. They are great enlargers capable of top quality work.

Bill
Old 5th August 2012, 08:50 PM
Friend

Tommy I used to see Durst stuff such as neg carrier, inserts, anti-newton glass etc quite a lot but in recent months it seems to have disappeared.

A call to Nova Darkroom or SDS might be worthwhile. Nova used to be quite good for bits and bobs but I have no idea how good they are now.

Mike
Old 5th August 2012, 09:23 PM
Friend

Won a bid on a holder,€28 delivered from Germany. I've seen both 45 and 66 going for $50-60 each,which is frankly more than I paid for the enlarger. I've fired off a few emails to a few places mentioned and will wait to see what's on offer but may make them when the holder arrives. Many thanks all for the responses.
Tommy.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies